the $2,000 question

Okay, hypothetical question:

If you were putting together a home theater system for a friend, but only had a budget of $2,000, (and did not have to buy dvd/vhs/cd players) How would you best advise, or assist your friend in building his system?

Now while I realize one can spend upwards of a grand on a receiver, keep in mind the need for speakers, wires, etc...

----------------

On 1/28/2005 11:21:04 PM ignorance_is_not_bliss wrote:

Okay, hypothetical question:

If you were putting together a home theater system for a friend, but only had a budget of $2,000, (and did not have to buy dvd/vhs/cd players) How would you best advise, or assist your friend in building his system?

Now while I realize one can spend upwards of a grand on a receiver, keep in mind the need for speakers, wires, etc...

----------------

First, what type of speakers? Small sub/sat type system? Bookshelf style? Full-sized floorstanding fronts with maching center and surrounds?

If a sub/sat type system:

Cinema-8 system with a decent reciever in the $500 range, such as the H/K AVR-235

If bookshelf system:

RB-35 with RC-35 center with either RS-35s or second pair of RB-35 (depending on what type of surround speaker is desired). This, along with the $500 reciever, should put you right at or near $2K (maybe a few dollars more). To save some money, perhaps go with the RS-25 or RB-25s for the surrounds

If floor standing system:

RF-25s with the RC-35 center (yes the larger center) and the RS-25s or RB-25s for the surrounds (again, depending preference for WDST (diffuse) or monopole)

If cannot find reference speakers, than then the new Synergy F-3s with C-3 center and SS-3 or B-3 surrounds. Unfortunatly, none of these includes the sub, though.

And of course, there is always the used route, as 3 pairs of Heresy's can often be had for around $1,500 (and that $500 receiver will get you to the $2,000 mark). However, this is a more risky, and time consuming endeavour that somebody just sarting out may not want to do.

Guest Anonymous

the quintets with a ksw10 and an hk 235 would be a great choice throw wiring in there and all that good stuff you'll be at about 1750 before tax for everything out the door

Cornwalls for fronts ($800) Heresys for rear ($400) and use the rest for a center and a receiver. or buy 6 heresys if you have a smaller room. or 2 rf 7's and a receiver. the list is endless. the most important thing is buy the best 2 front speakers as you can and add later. this of course is coming from an all heritage owner.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/29/2005 9:42:02 AM Budman54 wrote:

Cornwalls for fronts ($800) Heresys for rear ($400) and use the rest for a center and a receiver. or buy 6 heresys if you have a smaller room. or 2 rf 7's and a receiver. the list is endless. the most important thing is buy the best 2 front speakers as you can and add later. this of course is coming from an all heritage owner.

----------------

that would be a better choice then what i had said, i usually forget to think about buying used and what not, but that would bea good choice or at least in my mind!