Rear Speaker Placement

Matt M

I have moved into a new house and it's time to set up the home theater. My speaker consist of 4.2 (fronts), 2.2V (center) & 1.2 (rears). My room is 20' deep. The theater seating is about midway (10'). How should the 1.2's be placed. Options:

1. About 6' above floor level on rear wall,

not angled up or down.

2. About 6' above floor level or rear wall,

angled down toward listeing area.

3. On 2' speaker stands near rear wall. No angle.

Should the speakers be angled (toed) in at all, or face directly forward.

Thanks for any input.

Matt

Matt-

With all due respect to Keith, you may have a room similar to mine, where you don't really have both side walls for hanging speakers. I have two pair of 1.2s for surround/rear center and have them on 24-28" speaker stands. The rears are not toed-in and about 2ft behind 2.5ft out from the main listening position. The surrounds are about 2ft behind and 5.5ft out and are toed-in about 30-40 degrees. While this may not be the "ideal" location for them, they do quite well for both HT and 7-ch stereo. I was impressed with the system (Forte IIs/KV-4 in front) when watching X-Men and The Frog did his tongue thing, from left rear to left front/center. My wife was on the side and nearly jumped out of her seat! "That's why I like my Klipsch HT dear!"

Speaker stands are pretty inexpensive so play around with them and see. Next house will hopefully have 4 walls available for speaker use!

jhawk