preamp versus a/v receiver

bertsummerkids

Im currently running a denon 3802 to power my rf3, rc3 and rs3. im using the denon as a preamp for a B&K 200watt 2 channel for my rf3s. eventually i will be running seperate amps for the center and the rears.

does anyone know if i would hear a significant improvement if were to get a B&K preamp instead of using the denon. If it would be just a marginal improvment it probably isnt worth $1900. some people say that the denon is high quality enough were i may not see much improvment. the preamp i was considering is the B&K reference 50 S2

I don't have any experience with the Denon 3802, but I recently bought a Denon 1804 and was VERY unhappy with the sound quality. I took it back and traded it in on a B&K Reference 50. The difference was night and day.

A side benefit is that the B&K will give you 7 channel stereo from a 2 channel source. (OK, the center channel is still mono, but with 2 Cornwalls in front and Heresys for surround and rear, most people are blown away just listening to the radio.)

James

While the rf3s are good speakers you will get MORE bang by far if you sell em',get 7s and hook them to the 3802/b&k.This will outperfom the 3s and a 507/50,imo easily.That would be a significant improvement for sure.I own a 3802 and it is lacking a little for 2 ch music(only for critical listening) but not for HT.Add top notch speakers you then have something to build on.Just an alternative idea,if its 3s forever then there are better choices for avr/pre/pro and the 507/50 is a fine set up.