JBL 4648 owners...question

Vavoline

I know many here bought these at the tent sale, and have been satisfied to varying degrees. My self included. I need some input on how these things stack up against any SVS product you may have heard to compare them.

I was recently bitten by the up-grade-idus bug. I got a pretty fair deal on a 225x5 Sunfire Cinema Grand II, and could not be happier with it. LOVE it, actually.

But that was kinda like giving an alcoholic ONE sip of liquor. Now I want to upgrade from the 4648. The thing is, I really like the JBL, and would be really po'ed if I spent a $1000-$2000 on something and it didn't really outclass my little $365 JBL Bass Bin, and that includes the parts express amp.

So once again, I turn to this wonderful forum for advice. I know there are a ton of respected folks here who run SVS, but have any of you actually got to compare them against the JBLs?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies

In all honesty, you're really not going to be able to decide without hearing the difference for yourself.

That said, maybe there is someone on the forum that might be willing to let you swing by and let you bring over your JBL so that y'all can do an A/B comparisons. I've not heard either, but I do have one of the drivers from the 4648 and I plan on building a half sized sub. The 2226H is a very powerful driver.

Mine is still for sale! I really need it gone, it is MASSIVE.

And because I know you will ask why I am getting rid of it, here I go:

Bought the sub and Parts Express sub amp. Worked OK, seemed muddy. Bought a 30 Hz. hi-pass and the bass got a lot cleaner (I think the plate amp was having issues with low bass and not having enough dampening or whatever). Plate amp flat out died on me (overnight, not while using it). Got a job at a electronics store. Bought a JBL E250P for next to nothing. Should be working for a hi(er)-end home theater shop soon (few WEEKS) and will have access to some fantastic gear for cheap.

My 4648A-8 is just collecting dust. I am in Reno, Nevada. If somebody brings me $200, it is your's!

My understanding of these JBL boxes is that there arent many subs out there that will out-output them. That said, they do drop off pretty quickly below 30hz. So it depends on your tastes I guess. I love mine but I too wonder if lots more extension might be worth sacrificing some of the face-melting output this beast has. It occurs to me as I write this that most of us are doing this with the cheapo PE amp and if I am not mistaken the box is rated for 800w continuous and 1600w peak. In summary, my guess is you would like the deeper extension but would immediately miss the "slam" that you would be giving up.

Dan

I had a JBL B380 home subwoofer that had the massive 15" subwoofer in it, I think it was the 2235H woofer, the one down from the 2245H used in the really huge B460 subwoofer, while it outputted tremendous bass and lots of it, it had no real low end below 30Hz at all. A single one of my Velodyne Servo 15's will easily outperform it in low bass and the cleanliness of the bass response. I sold the B-380 and BX-63A crossover and never looked back. I now have two Velodyne Servo 15's and they have looooooooowwwwwww bass solid into the teens.

----------------

On 2/1/2005 3:40:20 PM Danartdis wrote:

In summary, my guess is you would like the deeper extension but would immediately miss the "slam" that you would be giving up.

Dan

----------------

Danartdis,

Yeah, that's the quandry all right. I thought I may be able to have my cake and eat it too by goin with the SVS PB12 Ultra 2. May even run them both at the same time???

And yeah, I also wonder what the beast would do with a quality 1000 watt amp, instead of the PE. But I have to admit, I don't think it's possible to get more slam for the buck than we did with the JBLs.16.gif