1-inch vs 2-inch horn throat

Klewless

I'll chime in here. I think the issue relating to mid-horns and larger drivers comes from the idea that the Khorn bass horn is becoming somewhat subdued on it's top end. So we want to find a way to get the mid-horn to go a bit lower in order to blend in better down lower.

But as you can see, getting lower there messes up the mid-horn's top end. Then there is the problem that compression drivers need longer and larger horns to get down lower. Thus they won't fit within the Khorn's footprint. I know people have used the Altec 300Hz horn and those dudes almost touch the ceiling on top of the Khorn!

There are lots of issues and my comment here is just the tip of the ice berg.

The main problems that I see with the Renkus-heinz toplogy: intermodulation distortion will be a factor, with lower frequencies modulating higher frequencies and causing amplitude variations. Also, taking an 8" diameter cone, and necking it down to a 2" throat horn, results in a very high compression ratio.

This is good for sensitivity, but results in high pressure at the throat. In terms of area, an 8 Inch woofer has a cone area of around 36 square inches. A 2" throat horn has a 3.1415926 square inch area, roughly 11 to 1 in terms of area, compared to the 8" cone.

Well if one wants to get from about 150-200hz on up to the top with a single device the Tom Danley Unity horn works very well. A 1" throat compression driver at the end of the horn and four cone drivers, as compression drivers (the cones have closed backs) feed into the horn slightly upstream. Each cone feeds through a pair of 1" holes. The trick is to get it all to combine into a coherant wave, which it does. Danley is very clever.

I've heard these a number of times and they sound very good.

post-6913-13819261490294_thumb.gif

Tony---Danley has a new business and he think he's selling only high power subs right now.

However Yorkville liscensed the Unity and makes a couple of models.

You can do a DIY Unity like one of the guys in our club, John Sheerin did. I think John talks about building it on his site.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 9:42:53 PM michael hurd wrote:

The main problems that I see with the Renkus-heinz toplogy: intermodulation distortion will be a factor, with lower frequencies modulating higher frequencies and causing amplitude variations. Also, taking an 8" diameter cone, and necking it down to a 2" throat horn, results in a very high compression ratio.

This is good for sensitivity, but results in high pressure at the throat. In terms of area, an 8 Inch woofer has a cone area of around 36 square inches. A 2" throat horn has a 3.1415926 square inch area, roughly 11 to 1 in terms of area, compared to the 8" cone.

----------------

Michael,

What are you trying to say here? What is the area of the diaphragm on a 2" driver. Many of those are 4", etc.

Marvel