Silk Screening

topfueltom

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The way I would handle this project would be to take a photo of the existing faceplate at double or triple the size on a Camera. Since the shot would show the messed up print from the existing plate I would then fix the fonts by hand on the negative. Reduce the negative back to 100% positive, clean the existing face plate of ink and then re-screen new copy. I would have to see the amp plate obviously 1st. I thought about doing this on my Scott that had a messed up face plate. The problem was that the face plate was bent to badly by Fed-Ex

Boy I don't know Dylan.... sounds a bit uuuhhhh, too easy? How do you propose silkscreening the new copy on? Do you have access to screen printing equipment? Man if you can fix McIntosh screen printing you will be a VERY sought after commodity.

I'd love to see how this comes out.

Tom, if you've only got a couple of bad letters one other approach is to try some "rub on" lettering. It's not perfect but only the most nit picky McIntosh fan would notice if you do it right. You have to rub on the whole word one letter at a time. For instance, if "Power" is partially worn, you need to remove all the "Power" letters completely and then rub on the whole word, one letter at a time. Very hard to tell the difference.

You can find the little rub on lettering kits at places like OfficeMax. I think you will be hard pressed to find a good silkscreener willing to make a screen and run one piece for you.

Thank you! Yes thats the problem I had some wood polish on the rag cleaning the cabinet and mistakenly used it to clean the face of the Mac, I quickly noticed that I was rubbing off letters so I caught it fast enough but still have some damage to some words. I will try what you suggest, I can get it at Officemax and it's called what again?

TFT

Scott, the procedure is not easy at all. I just very briefly described the general process. My family has owned a Screen & Litho printing business for the last 20 yrs. Much of what you see in Lowes, Home Depot and Toy R Us in the way of banners & hanging material has come from our plant over the years. In fact he is currently working on a commemorative pinball machine for Elvis. If you want to talk about detail look at the playfield of a pinball machine or the glass. These playfields have 9 - 10 colors laid over top of one another which have to be in register to 1 to 2 thousands. I have done a lot of this work and yes we have a 30,000 square foot building with every type of Screen printing press available from flat beds to cylinder presses.

Scott, no rub on letter is going to come close to what Screen printing will be able to do. When completed you will not know the difference

The rub ons that I have used on other things have had a tendency to come off.

Good idea, but can only wish it were that easy. A die hard McIntosh person would se the difference quickly. Sorry to sound down on that idea. I've "personalized" gifts to my wife and have seen the lettering come off.

Bummer.

dodger

----------------

On 2/4/2005 9:50:17 AM dodger wrote:

The rub ons that I have used on other things have had a tendency to come off.

Good idea, but can only wish it were that easy. A die hard McIntosh person would se the difference quickly. Sorry to sound down on that idea. I've "personalized" gifts to my wife and have seen the lettering come off.

Bummer.

dodger----------------

Yes, if you read my response I said, any die-hard mac fan will be able to tell the difference. Your average buddy or houswife isn't going to notice much.

The rub on letter I've used are no less "hardy" than the orignal Mac lettering. The original Mac lettering on the face plates of the C11, C22, MX110 etc. bascially sucks. It comes off quite easy. So I guess I can say the rub on letters suck equally with the Mac screen letters when it comes to durability.

----------------

On 2/4/2005 9:46:42 AM Dylanl wrote:

Scott, the procedure is not easy at all. I just very briefly described the general process. My family has owned a Screen & Litho printing business for the last 20 yrs. Much of what you see in Lowes, Home Depot and Toy R Us in the way of banners & hanging material has come from our plant over the years. In fact he is currently working on a commemorative pinball machine for Elvis. If you want to talk about detail look at the playfield of a pinball machine or the glass. These playfields have 9 - 10 colors laid over top of one another which have to be in register to 1 to 2 thousands. I have done a lot of this work and yes we have a 30,000 square foot building with every type of Screen printing press available from flat beds to cylinder presses.

Scott, no rub on letter is going to come close to what Screen printing will be able to do. When completed you will not know the difference
----------------

Dylan,

I never said a rub on letter would look as good. But if you think about the time it would take you to make a negative, make a screen, and do the printing. You're going to have to charge quite a bit wouldn't you? Unless you'd be doing it as a courtesty on your own time.

I have no doubt a professional screen printer can re-do a faceplate that will look extrordinary. But at what cost for one piece? I have one in town I have worked with that screen prints many of the metal fabrications my company makes. We, however run 100's if not 1000's of parts.

If I were to ask them to do one piece, it would cost in the range of $500 to $600 IF they would even do it. There's not much in it for them. Most companies aren't interested in one time shots like that.

But since you are an owner of a scren print company, if this is something you are interested in doing I would be all over sending you a Mac C11 faceplate that I'd like to have done. Hell, I have other pieces too.

I have also printed circuit boards to Microwave readouts to Highway Signs and many Items like the copper Klipsch logos. The fact that you would be using the actual face plate for the art is why even someone who knows the equipment would not be able to tell that it has been repaired. Simply because there would be no difference. In my younger days before computerized graphics on Mac Computers was the thing, all fonts and clip art came out of books or were hand drawn. You would then use blue line pencils and draft your designs shoot them on a stat camera into negatives and then burn to plate. Often I would get in customers logos that were deteriorated from this continual process. They would essentially want them resurrected. I would use the same process that I described earlier which was enlarging the art 500 - 600% completely redraw and cut the stencils then reduce to original size and print. When complete the finish product is actually better than when you started. Sometimes we would have to add flaws to the logos so once decreased they would match ( rough is how the graphic was intended to be) . Exactly the opposite on lettering. The cleaner and more crisp the lettering the better.

Remember every step away from the original only get worse. The only way to combat that is by the process I specified. By enlarging you increase every flaw dramatically but it also gives you the ability to clean up the art. Once decreased CLEAN ART will only look cleaner.

Tom,

Here is a link to the the kit I have used. The kit with the 1/16" and 1/8" letters. My local Officemax has them. Later tonight, I'll post of pic of my C22 where I rubbed on a few letters a couple of years ago. You then can decide if this appearance will be "good enough" or if you want to spend ???? on a new silkscreen.

If Dylan wants to do it, a full silkscreen will no doubt be perfect. At what cost is what I will be anxious to see. I'l be psyched if Dylan can do for something reasonable.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/003/group_id/392/HeadLine-Rub-On-Lettering.htm

Scott, I would do it for fellow members on this site only. You are right. If I were to have to charge it would be ridiculous and would not make sense to get started. I am however not in this for money. I think if any of us were smart we would have quit this money hungry hobby long ago. I would be willing to help anyone without my labor charge. You never know kind acts always have a way of coming back around. All that I would expect is that they would pay for shipping, film screen prep and a small amount of ink. Sounds like a lot but should not be much more than 65.00 Total.

Ok, it's hell trying photograph a faceplate at night. Anyway, this was taken from about 4 to 6 inches away. Again,if you just need a few letters and you not trying to fool an avid collecto, it's another possibility for you. I've actaully replaced several words here. They have proven to be about as durable as the original Mac lettering(which is not saying much). I never wipe my faceplate with anything!

IM001074.JPG