Time to rewire

SCOOTERDOG

Well I final had it with one of my K77's cutting in and out. I have known for a while that the wiring just needs to be replaced as it has oxidized at the ends. While I'm at it I'll just rewire all three drivers in each cabinet. I guess after 25 years of ownership it is about time. I am going to use some 14 gauge monster cable that I had left over from setting up my basement HT. I think this will be a good choice...what do you think?

Scooter

Scooter,

You might want to check to see if the terminals on the K-77 have loosened so that they rotate some. A common problem that will break the tiny wire inside to the diaphragm.

Bob

BEC,

I thought of that as well. However I notice if I move the lead to the tweeter it comes back on. Which leads me to believe it is time to change. With that being said I still think I will check the diaphragm just to make sure. I know I am getting some distortion because of the poor connection, I can hear it.

As far as the cable I am using it really isn't monster cable persay. It is the same 14g speaker wire you buy in a 100' roll from home depot. It seems to be pretty decent wire though. I don't believe in spending big bucks for cable. I think it comes to a point where cost vs peformance becomes an issue. I have listened to many of the high end wires and to be quite honest I don't hear that much of a difference in speaker wire costing 2 or 3 bucks a foot,if any.

For audio and video cables you do need to spend a bit more becase of the signal you are pushing, but still not to the extremes of some of the cost of these things. I bought a 10 meter component cable that is awesome and it cost me only 45 bucks from the sound company. This is well below the cost you see for the so called specialty cables.

scooter

Thats not good. I have used this stuff for a few years and have had no problem with it at all let alone turning green. Maybe what bought became damp or something and moisture sat in it, don't know why that would happen in such a short time. I'll keep an eye on it anyway. Since I use it for my surrounds I'll check the wiring on them ocasionally as well just to make sure.

scooter

Today I pulled out my drivers on the La Scala's and replaced all of the wiring in them. I also checked per BEC's recommendation the diaphragm in the K77's. I was really pleased how well the K77 looked inside, almost new. For being 25 years old I was blown away.

I used gold plated spade terminal connectors. I used 14g wire and the original wire looked to be 18g and was very stiff. To be honest even my wife took notice to the difference in sound. Her exact words were it seems much smoother and crisp then before. Well I did agree there is a vast improvement over the older wiring. Like I said they are 25 years old and I had some corrosion at one of the ends.

Took me all of about 45min for each speaker. I think the hardest part was getting the old solder off the terminals on the K77's. Once that was done it was just cleaning them up and add the connectors.

To my ears this was a great upgrade for my La Scala's and recommend it to all.

scooter