FrankenScala Update #5 (Last update til Spring)

ooteedee

Well, here they are in their new home: The Barn.

Stain and final finish will have to wait until warmer weather. I can't do them in the house. (Even though I have water based stain, conditioner, and Polycrylic.

I just can't put any more time into them until then. Too many other chores are now behind schedule.

But they DO sound great. Thanks for all your help.

They will remain dry.

No leaks in the barn...despite humidity...the barn stays remarkably dry. (Lots of holes for the wind to blow through.)

I will cover them when not in use.

They will be fine.

Notice my Dad's old speakers? Made in 1963 and they still sound great. One speaker handles most of the bass and treble. (And a little mid.) The other is a push/pull midrange beast, with a small tweeter. Both have hand-wound, hand made crossovers, and are ported and tuned. The big 15" is a Utah.

They kick it but a couple of the mid speakers could be replaced.

Hmmmm. Maybe that should be the next project. Update the old monsters with new parts??

(I'd have to be careful. They are after all my Dad's design. He should supervise.)

Thanks again to everyone and look for finished pictures in Spring.

1.gif1.gif1.gif

post-16798-13819261685554_thumb.jpg

I've been following your frankenstuff. I think you've got great skilz. Shame those things are in a barn.

Question, why did you pick a scala for this. Is this a party barn? By your decorations, this looks like sum sort of a country hodown. Man' I've been to a lot of these. Typically, speakers in that kind of environment had sum bass laden speakers that would make the cows moon walk.

I'm ready to see your next project. You could become a well heard member of this forum. How much did you spend total?

I've got the la scalas with a pair of ALK crossovers. The crossover made the difference. I was about to sell the scalas until I heard the new crossover. HUGE difference.

I've got a pair of AL networks on EBAY starting at $20. If your looking for cheap improvements, you might want to consider this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=5749802006&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

GREAT JOB

jc

I'll take a look.

Right now those FrankenScalas have Non-OEM parts in them. So a real deal Klipsch crossover might not be right.

But who knows. You never know when some OEM parts will come my way.

Thanks for the compliments.

I don't feel bad about putting them in the barn. The barn is for home projects and parties. No animals. (Except bats, squirrels, mice, bugs and the occasional visit from a racoon.)

Its dry.

A bit dusty at times.

Cold in the winter.

But with some stain and Poly coat they should resist a lot of mother nature.

I chose LaScalas because I found the blueprints online. Seemed like an easy deal. Which is was.

I was originally just going to rebuild my dads old speakers. Make them big-bass, 3-ways. Essentialy destroying his design. I decided I didn't want to do that. So I started snopping around for plans. That's when I found the LaScalas. FIgured big ole Klipsch speakers would rock the barn quite well.

Which they do!

Thanks

Probably $250-300 total.

I ended up buying some tools I didn't have like long clamps, t-squares, etc. So it ended up costing more than 300 but that doesn't really count!

I don't plan on making any others for sale. (Honestly, they're not that good!)

I may fix up my Dad's old speakers next fall.