Blown away.

Klipschfoot

Delivered an eBay item yesterday. I should have taken my camera. They guy was at level three with his dream system. I cannot remember the name of the amps as I was not taking notes. The speakers, however, were Quad ESL electrostatics totally rebuild with custom frames. The amps were a British pedigree (not Quad) EL34. The pre was a customized tube something. The turntable was the stuff you dream about with the "best designed" arm in existence. NO CD! Just a retired lawyer in vinyl heaven. I literally put my nose perpendicular to the frame of the ESL and heard music with depth that was surreal, NOT STEREO! His basement was flooded with vinyl and his adherence to analogue as the best medium was unshakable and with living proof. I have never seen such an impressive spread. It was audio bliss and about 1 mi. from my house. His Eico (pronounced "eye-co") HF-60 amps were in for modification). I may have another modifier lead for you guys soon, if you are interested.

EDIT: The eBay item was a lowly tubed AM tuner for a friend of his that had won it on eBay.

Which Quad ESLs are you talking about? The original 57's, ESL63s or the more recent incarnations? I've wiled away many a happy hour listening to the 57s and if you stay in the sweet spot the presentation is great. I prefer the LaScalas for slam and lifelike piano reproduction levels however...The 57 arguably has the finest midrange in the world....