My PC thinks my 1.4Ghz CPU is a 1.3GHZ CPU. Any thoughts?

tcpool

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions.....

I put an AMD 1.4Ghz Tbird on an ASUS a7m 266 motherboard. The mother board supposedly has the latest ver 1.04 bios update.

My computer; however, thinks it's a 1.3GHZ chip.

Any thought as to what I can do to get it to recognize it's a 1.4?

i am not a computer pro but i do know that processers' speeds are not always what they post. My 800 MHz is clocked at 816 MHz. I have never heard of it being lsited slower, check to make sure the tempeture of the chip is at a good level, if want a GREAT program for taht, email me. This thing gives your CPU speed, percent of free resources, tempeture, and even warns when it gets too hot. There are many other things it does but i do not remember them all. Just email me if you want it.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy. Email Amy or Instant Message Amy and if all else fails, pick up that phone and call right now Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site !

I beat DBvader to 600 posts!

• 2 weeks later...

hey, can i get an update on the situation?

thankscwm7.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy. Email Amy or call Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site!

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

I beat DBvader to 600 posts!

I beat DBvader to 700 posts!

I beat DBvader to 800 posts!*

I beat DBvader to 900 posts**

(*does not matter anymore though)

(**ok, this is getting sad now)

• 2 weeks later...

tcpool:

Go through the basics: update all your drivers or reinstall them, thorough disk scan, defrag (to see if that will catch a disk error), and (most importantly) do a system file check (I'd do THAT first, actually).

Check your BIOS settings to see if the recent flash created any contradictory settings.

Check your IRQ assignments.

Write to the doctor at Maximum PC Magazine....

Good luck!

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Hello Dere

Spontaneous reboots are usually the result of excessive heat in the case.The following is some advice directly from AMD: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/cooling_guide.pdf

The Athlons have a tendency to run hot.Your motherboard likely has a temperature monitoring utility. Check the documentation that came with your motherboard and CPU to determine the acceptable operating temperature range. As a rule of thumb try to keep the temperature below about 55 degrees C.That said I have seen them run up into the 70's and work well. Remember that the hotter the chip runs the shorter will be its life span.

Check to make sure that your CPU fan is working properly and that the fan in your power supply is moving enough air.

The interior of you case should also be free of dust bunnies.In addition, I recommend routing your ribbon cables etc. in such a way as to avoid restricting air flow across the CPU. If your PC is near a window ensure that there are no curtains or drapes up against the back of your PC obstructing air-flow. Always run the PC with the case cover in place as the cases are engineered to direct the airflow so as to maximise cooling.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

Hi,

My ASUS Probe indicates my CPU is within normal heat range.

Oddly enough, I'm noticing that it seems to reboot more while I'm on the web.

I have the new Toshiba Cable Modem that has the ability to connect to the PC via USB or Ethernet (it does not require you have an ethernet card in your PC).

I've been connected with the USB....one of our IT guys at work suggested I install an ethernet card instead of using the USB option (he mentioned something about 'net overload', or some similar terminology I didn't understand).

I put in the ethernet card & so far it's working....knock on wood Smile.gif

I got to thinking and it occurred to me that perhaps your video card may be intermittently radiating excessive heat onto the CPU. This would not be evident to the temperature probe on your motherboard unless you happened to check right at the point that the video card was going thermonuclear. Try moving the video card as far as possible from the CPU.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)