Martin Logans vs KSF 8.5s

Spkrdctr

Well, I have been waiting to buy a set of Martin Logan speakers, (the smallest fullrange electrostatic model) and I went and listened to them yesterday. I thought, gee, they sound pretty good, but not THAT good for the money. I then went home and listened to my KSF 8.5s with my Klipsch center channel and said, gee, this setup sounds just as good as the Martin Logans! So, I'm saving a huge amount of cash ($3000) and keeping my Klipsch. Oh well, when you start with the best, it is hard to go to something else.

Another old test I did a few years ago was listening to the Legacy Focus speakers ($5000/pr I think) versus the KLF 20 and 30. The Klipsch 20s at one third the price sounded better than the Legacy Focus. Every time I listen to another brand, and then listen to a comparable Kilpsch product, the Klipsch always wins. Kind of strange.......

I might have to go to Indy and talk with the engineers...seems they are on to something!

I like the sound of the Logans, with silver-gray amplifiers as solid as a concrete block and costing at least as much as the loudspeakers themselves. One thing I noticed was that the bottom of there loudspeaker line (what, $1500?) sounds very much like the top of their loudspeaker line. The $70K statements are wonderful, but most of the improvement came from columns of actively-powered, large subwoofers. If you like their clear and sweet presentation, the mid-range and top end on their entry level models sound almost as good as their top of the line models.

As loudspeakers get wider and flatter, amplifiers develop more headroom and cleaner sound, rooms become less bumpy so frequency response is smoother, many loudspeakers I have heard sound more incredibly wonderfully alike than different.

But yes, indeed, it does seem like a lot of electrostatic, other panel and even cone loudspeaker guys are always trying to get better sound out of their amplifiers, when the problem is the high distortion and low dynamic range of their speakers:

See Deprecating The Gifts Of The G-ds, in the archives, EnjoyTheMusic.com.

3.gif