Denon/Marantz receiver and speaker advice

JuHorvath

I am looking at Denon and Marantz receivers in the 400-1000 dollar range (since these seem to be the best for Klipsch set-ups). I will likely fit these to an RF5 powered set and an SVS sub. It seems that Denon has the biggest following among the board. The 2802 and 3802 are my most likely choices there. Is there a major difference in sound quality between the two? It doesn't really seem like these are very different. Also, with the Marantz models, the 7200 looks quite appealing. I have heard that Marantz receivers are better at audio playback then Denon's. Is this accurate? If so is Denon better for HT? Just counting the days until I join the Klipsch Klub and trying to make an educated decision as far as speaker/receiver match. Also, does anyone have the RP3 or RP5's? It seems like no one really likes these speakers, are they just not very good when compared to the Reference series?

Re the RP series vs. the RF series...I think that a lot of board members with the RF series got them because they prefer to use a separate sub woofer, since it gives them more flexibility in placement of the sub. The ideal speaker location for mids/tweets usually isn't the same location as for the low bass and you don't have that flexibility with the RPs.

The 2802/3802 are very similar at first glance, but there are some significant differences: 90 wpc vs 150 wpc, 24-bit DSP vs 32-bit SHARC dsp, 6 channels vs 7 channels (for two rear center speakers), and some other refinements. Does it matter to you? Only you can decide. Don't know what the price delta is, but if you can swing it I'd go for the 3802 so you won't be wondering "what if..."

DD

Thanks for the reply Doug, I am looking at picking up RF5's in the neighborhood of 1000-1100. Does everyone think that they are worth it? (I don't think I will have enough to go with the RF7's) Also, when comparing the Denon 3802 to the Marantz 7200 which do people think is better and why. Is Marantz better for audio/Denon better for HT? Any suggestions on which model to go for in the RP(C?) series of SVS subs? (powered subs)

ju, as an sr8000 owner, i've been wondering 'bout the marantz sr7200 myself (see my sr7200 info? post under this forum). kinda like the new rf speaks though, they just came out in the last few months so the reviews & availability at dealers is pretty limited.

f.e., my main klipsch dealer is just now getting the new rf set-up & won't have any of the new marantz for at least another week.

one thing i've heard on the street (not official release yet) is that marantz will also have out an sr8200 & sr9200 next month. so the sr8200 i'm sure will have more power than the 7200 @ 105WX6.

denon & marantz are both excellent receivers. you really need to somehow a-b them & decide yourself like I did Smile.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

Ju, that's a bummer on the marantz availability Frown.gif

i was luck to find a dealer here in the kc metro that had both denon(3300, 3801) & marantz (sr8000) to a-b w/

a pair of klipsch klf-30. the klipsch dealer here though had only marantz.

besides the 6.1 & some other new features, i'm really curious to see/hear how the new marantz compare to the sr8000 in audio quality & bass management. wonder if marantz got w/ it & put in an adjustable crossover in their bass mgmt. as it sounds denon has done w/ their new units(?).

i'm definitely waiting on the bigger marantz to come out in sep. because i want a power step-up from the sr8000 (105Wx5). or then when i go to 6.1, may also consider the new denon. cwm35.gif

Check my last post, the Marantz dealer had Denon as well and went and demoed the two side by side yesterday. They are not a Klipsch dealer unfortunately

so the comparison was done on Paradigm 100's. Both were incredible receivers but I felt that the Marantz had better detail reproduction in music. I could hear every layer of the music no matter what it was. I could still hear this with the Denon but the Marantz was just a little better. Now if only I could have played these on Klipsch it would have been perfect.

I did like the Paradigms but I'm not sure they would hold up in my mind when played side by side with Klipsch on the same receiver. I just wish this was actually possible for me! Did anyone else like the Paradigms? Today I will go and compare the Marantz 7200 and 8000 to see if there is enough difference to wait until the 8200 comes out. It was a pretty telling sign when the owner of the store told me he has a Marantz 7000 and that the 7200 has dramatically improved on that model. He thinks that the new 7200 is so good that they might not stock the 8200 because they don't think it will offer enough value as an upgrade from the 7200.

Juan

jaun, that's pretty much what i found w/ the marantz sound too. just a bit of an edge for my ears.

good to know the new ones sound as good if not better than the older series. still wonder if they have that adjustable crossover in their bass mgmt. though. afraid that'll be a requirement for a new one for me.

however, looks like i just got another klf-c7 on ubid for $295 total so i'm going to have to get something new for at least 6.1. cwm19.gif