shielded speakers?

wyattearp

----------------

On 2/8/2005 11:18:02 PM wyattearp wrote:

Going to use KLFs for HT. Any problem putting the KLF-C7 under the TV and the -20s beside it?

----------------

the KLF-C7 will be no problem.... but the KLF-20's will need to be a distance away from your tv

my KLF-30's need to be about 30" or more away from my 35" tube tv to avoid interference

I have KLF-C7. Never been inside it but it must be shielded because it sits directly under my Sony 35" with nary a color twitch. So it's okay. Don't know about 30's but minn_male might be correct. Early LR speakers with center counterparts rarely had the bucking magnets that shielded the TV from magnetic flux, but a small distance may be all that is required. I think I had Cornwalls about 18" at one time and there was no effect.

Note. The effect you notice on your TV is NOT permanent. It' just bending the electrons in the tube temporarily. I don't think you'll hurt your set at all by experimenting with distances.

Michael

Wyatt,

The C7 is shielded, so no problem there. The 20's are not shielded. The closest I was ever able to get my 30's to the sides of my 32" TV was 24". At that point the picture began to discolor at the edges. I finally just gave up and bought a projector...2.gif(Just kidding, of course)

If you are so inclined, you may still be able to purchase the bucking magnets from Klipsch to shield the 20's. Then you can place them anywhere you want...9.gif There may be other sources as well. I did the procedure to a KG 3.5 of mine I modded into a center channel. Just some magnets, epoxy, and clamps. Not hard at all.

----------------

On 2/9/2005 6:57:05 PM wyattearp wrote:

OK. How I do that? Installing, I mean. I think I can call Klipsch. Maybe...
3.gif

----------------

you just glue them onto the back of your speaker's magnets - should only be necessary on the woofers.....

you need clamps because they need to be installed in opposite polarity.... they will want to move apart because of the magnetic force - that's why you need the clamps when you glue them on...

1.gif