SACD music recommendations

oscarsear

Let me 1st apologize. I know I could plow thru previous postings and research this but I'm too pressed for time.

Anyhoo, yours truly is getting an SACD player (Sony SCD 777ES) and owns zero/zilch SACDs'. Tell me please what are your favorite SACD titles. I enjoy all genres so feel free to run the gamut. Also, the best source to obtain these for the least in cost and fastest in service (why not ask for it all).

Y'all been very, very good to me....thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Dave9.gif9.gif

Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo: recent re-releases on SACD. Very impressive. Clarity, sense of space, and very clean strings are salient characteristics. Simple microphone setups (often only 3 mics), no EQ and minimal or no editing are claimed to be important here.

Heifetz, Starker, and Rubinstein are no brainers. Others may depend more on taste and tolerance of a quirk or two. After only a couple of minutes of the Rubinstein Chopin Balads my wife said "What a happy piano!"

One interesting and possibly important aspect of these remasterings is that the SACD versions were made directly from the tapes .. no PCM edit or mixing stage. They are some of the few SACDs available that were never PCM.

Leo

I have enjoyed the Telarc SACDs. They have classical and jazz titles. The recording and mixing are excellent. The performances are anywhere from so, so to excellent.

Modern titles are from a wide variety of sources. Some of the Sony releases are poorly mastered. In most instances, I look for recordings originally done in DSD (native SACD mastering.) I try to avoid re-mixes, although some re-releases are very good. Blue Note has released Blue Train on SACD. This recording is very old, but the quality of the SACD is excellent.

Some SACDs are 2 channel, others are 5.1 or 5.0. The 2 channel SACDs tend to be re-releases.

Bill

you definitely need to own pink floyd " dark side of the moon"... that's a given

the 1812 overture from telarc is also a great piece and will really test your system....

if you are into classical and jazz music... be sure to check out the telarc catalog....

http://www.telarc.com/sacd/default.asp?mscssid=LDJ05PEWTATQ9M0AJ7TJKT7XPFKEBK49

one jazz telarc title that is really outstanding is "Celebrating the Music of Weather Report"

also..for the definite list of what's available on SACD

http://www.sa-cd.net/

2800 SACD's and going up every day!!

i personally love several of the SACD's that diana krall has released...

"The Girl in the Other Room" and "The Look of Love"

enjoy!!!!

1.gif

The newer the better it seems.

I love all the new Living Stereo releases as suggested above.

All the new Elton John SACDs are amazing.

Art Pepper, So In Love

David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust

Dave Brubeck, Time Out

Sonny Rollins, Way Out West

Thelonious Monk, Straight, No Chaser

Diana Krall, The Girl In The Other Room

Steely Dan, Gaucho

The Who, Tommy

What kind of music do you like?

If you like jazz RUN to check out the Fantasy or Analogue Productions catalog. (I've found searching AcousticSounds.com by label to be the fastest way to do this...As a disclaimer, I guess I should point out that I have absolutely no financial interest in that organization. In fact, I will point out that they are rather slow in delivery. They do, however, have a superb selection!).

----------------

On 2/9/2005 4:00:34 PM oscarsear wrote:

I have everything from zydeco to gregorian chants. The Mrs has a liking for C&W. Jazz, blues, classical, R&R .......NO RAP. Thnx for the replies. Any additional input plenty welcome. Dave

----------------

For the Mrs.... Mary Chapin Carpenter's *Time* *Sex* *Love*.

I picked this up on SACD from Best Buy the other day. Really nice recording and some of the songs are incredibly beautiful.

----------------

On 2/9/2005 6:52:15 PM kev313 wrote:

If you like jazz RUN to check out the Fantasy or Analogue Productions catalog. (I've found searching AcousticSounds.com by label to be the fastest way to do this...As a disclaimer, I guess I should point out that I have absolutely no financial interest in that organization. In fact, I will point out that they are rather slow in delivery. They do, however, have a superb selection!).

----------------

Really? When I order from Acoustic Sounds, it gets here in 2 days EVERY time!

Add ElusiveDisc.com to your list. They have a great selection also.

Gary - I think they just don't like me6.gif

It literally took 2 mos. to get the first set of Living Stereo discs. It seems like many things I order indicate that they are in stock at the time of ordering but are out of stock w/in the next few days. I think they keep a pretty short inventory.