The beast is at the shop!

D0N

I tried to find a tech to repair this Genesis Stealth B200 for about 2 years. No luck until Analogman hooked me up with scott frankland in San Jose Ca. It cost me $200 to ship it one way 14.gif but Scott really knows his stuff! He says...

" was able to bypass the relay circuits and power up the main power supply with all loads disconnected. All power supplies appear to work fine without loads. As for the failure mode, what I have found so far is that one entire bank of output FET's are shorted (8 devices total). I don't yet know what caused this catastrophic failure. These devices have inadequate heat sink grease in my opinion. There is also a blown filter cap on the driver board feeding these FET's (this cap does most of the input filtering for the driver board, so I will renew it in both channels). I have yet to power up this driver board, but it generally seems OK with static tests. The computer board is probably OK, too, but I won't know for sure until after I run some AC signal tests. I need also to test the input amplifiers (they appear to be OK with static tests). When I'm done with these initial tests I'll forward an estimate for the work.

Here's what another stealth amp owner told me about the amps sound...

"I think the Stealths amp sound is the best I have ever heard. I have owned Krell, ML, Rowland, Futterman OTL's, Pass, and currently Threshold Sa-12e's and none compete. I have no interest in this other than from an audiophile position. If you ever get to listen to this amp you know it is special. I have had countless people in the business say this. The tech who fixed mine used it for a month to test. He said there is nothing that touches it & if there was he has never heard it and it would be very, very expensive."

I'm hoping this amp is going to make my khorns SING! Maybe the search for my sonic nirvana will be over?

4188PB220003-med.JPG

----------------

On 2/11/2005 11:02:07 AM middlecreekguy wrote:

I just googled it and all I could find was 4 or 5 audio sites that you had posted on looking for answers. How many watts is that beast? 800?

----------------

its 200wpc. variable class A up to 100wpc. I'm pretty excited. 3.gif