Yamaha microphone optimizer

Lutz

I got the RXV1500. Used the YPAO once and never again. It didn't seem accurate to me compared to an SPL meter because I did a couple of more tweeks after the calibration was finished. This was for all my speakers and not only the sub.

Give it a try once then compare with an SPL meter. An HT SETUP DVD (like AVIA) would be a good help too.

The problem with built-in optimizers is that they are very sensitive to mic location and orientation. Play around with it a bit and you should get very different results by moving the mic around.

Conducting the tweaking yourself allows you to compensate for other acoustical issues that the mic has no way of knowing about, not to mention it's all about making it sound good to your ears...who cares what the machine says. I personally like to boost the center channel a bit because voices sometimes get hard to understand...to me the increase in intelligibility is a worthy sacrifice over "accuracy."

How bout running the optimizer for a few, say three locations, plotting each, then extrapolating an 'average' setting from those computer estimates.

It is, after all a SEVEN BAND PARAMETRIC EQ. Tough to do that with your ears and the manually adjustable 10 band graphic, even with the best CD and SPL meter. Wouldn't the SPL meter be subject to the same 'room position' bias as the included YPAO mic?

Looking forward to having the good DR. tweak my system this Saturday! THis is when Mike and Michael will have hours of good scientific research at Lab Colter!

Michael