Is this a good price for a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver????

flannj

I am shopping for electronics for a new basement HT. My local Sunfire dealer has a demo Ultimate Receiver for sale. It has been on their floor for about 13 months and it is very clean. It has updated software and will be sold in its original box with a full warranty. This is a reliable dealer that I have purchased all of my Klipsch products from (K-horns, Choruses, Academy, and KG 2.5's). I just spent an hour playing with it in their showroom and I like the product very much. They want $3300. More than the used units on e-bay and Audiogon. Less than new units from the dealers on Price Tool. I am not desperate to make a purchase yet but I wouldn't want a good opportunity to slip away. So what do you think of this price? I am interested in as many opinions as possible.

Thanks,

flannj

I am not totally familiar with the Sunfire UR, but I just got a Sunfire Theater Grand IV. I think the UR is like the TGIV with integrated amps. FWIW I love my TGIV. If you want to see how the price is go to audiogon and check out this item:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1110998666

Drop the seller Bryan an email and tell him that Rich (the guy who just bought the new TGIV) sent ya. See what he can do on price, if anything. That might give you an idea if you are getting a good deal locally. Also if you end up doing business with Bryan you will not be disappointed. He went above and beyond to make my transaction for the Sunfire and a Denon 3910 a great one.

I have no connection or interest in this guy...just a happy customer.

Good luck, Rich

Hmmmm, while it is a 'fair' price, I would not say it is a 'good deal' I am sure it has not been abused, but it probably has been sitting on, all day, every day, so there is a lot of use on it.

Personally, if that was the receiver you were going to get no matter what, GET IT FOR THAT PRICE, but don't buy it just because they took some cash off 2.gif

If you really want the Sunfire receiver, you might make a counter offer in the $2750 to $3000 range, conditioned on the manual and especially the remote being included. If the remote has a charger, be sure that it is included.

The Theater Grand IV has just been released, so a new receiver is just around the corner. S&V reviewed the Sunfire receiver. Take a look on their web site for the test reports.

Bill

Sorry about the same reply to 2 different posts.

I pulled the trigger yesterday. Impulse buying? Who me? I visited my local Rotel dealer and liked what I saw and heard. A great thing about living in the Chicagoland area is easy access to multiple dealers of all sorts of equipment. Bought a RMB-1095 amplifier and a RSP-1068 pre pro. $3100 for the package before sales tax. High sales tax is a bad thing about living here. Compared to buying the Sunfire demo I still get 200 watts per x 5. But I get brand new unused equipment with a longer warranty. Separates as opposed to a receiver (good for future pre pro upgrades). All for 200 bucks less. What I definitely heard was a lower noise floor on the Rotels. What I imagined I heard was a little less strain at high power levels. Unfortunately I also get a lot more heat and size with them as well. Although I liked the Sunfire quite a bit and from what I know and have experienced with my own Carver equipment they are well built and reliable. I am wondering if Sunfire may be pricing themselves a little too high with their recent increases. I found the Rotel dealer to be very low pressure and knowledgeable as was the Sunfire dealer. So, here is how my developing 5.1 system stands. Rotel electronics, Chorus mains, Academy center, KG 2.5 rears and Velodyne DD-18 subwoofer. Panasonic 61 inch DLP. All getting ready to be placed in a currently being constructed basement. Gramas701, I understand your reservations about DLP and chip issues but I dont have much choice in this case. My father-in-law is a Panasonic distributor and he can save me A LOT on this new unit coming out in May (beggars cant be choosers). The DVD has yet to be decided. So now I have a basement storage area filled with cool equipment that I cant hook up yet. Thanks for the commentary everyone.

A lower noise floor is important with Klipsch speakers. The independent review of the Sunfire receiver shows noise a bit higher than other receivers in that price range.

Processors do go obsolete faster than any other major component. Amps are good to go for very long periods of time. However, you will get better longevity on the amp if you can keep it cooler with good ventilation.

Bill