preventing reflection

tgourlie

It is more likely to lessen the effect of baffle diffraction rather than reduce reflections from the horn mouth. I don't really know about such a short "column" at the horn mouth causing reflections back from the mouth due to a mismatch with the mouth/atmosphere interface, but it certainly doesn't help the dispersion pattern any, that's for sure. How much it actually harms is another question.

Since the baffle thickness that the horn is mounted to is fairly thin (1/2 or 3/4") that it is considered to be somewhat inconsequential, especially at the respective horn mouth. But you're right, it hinders the horn at the mouth somewhat for a very short length which could cause reflections from the mouth, as well as providing an obstacle to the dispersion pattern which the respective horn has set up.

{edit} there is something to be said for front-mounted upper frequency horns or better yet, no mounting baffle at all...

DM2.gif

I guess I was surprised when I searched for such a thread and didn't find anything. Although the search wasn't that in depth, I thought that it would be somewhat frequently asked. Especially when it would seem to be pretty simple to mounth the horns on the outside of the baffle. saw / router combination would not take long to do. And with the extent to which us Klipsch fans tweek our systems, I would think that this one would be pretty obvious (the baffle that is).

Generally, people tend to completely replace the top cabinet and all of the drivers, rather than modify it.

It's sort of an all-or-nothing thing, I think.

It makes sense, because why stop with just angling the holes?

{edit} I am thinking of the Khorn. It would make much more sense to just angle the holes on the LS and stop with that, I would think.

DM2.gif

I remember reading on this forum a few years ago that PWK was asked about the sonic difference(s) in mounting the drivers behind the motor board in the Heresy and and Cornwall versus in front of the board in the Heresy II and Cornwall II. He is reported to have replied, "It doesn't make a dime's worth of difference."

Some people have routed out the motor board openings in their speakers, but I don't remember anyone saying they heard any difference. You could always try it and see how it sounds. Don't forget to report back.