My impression of the THX Ultra2 package

doodah67

I've been reading about these speakers for the last 3 months. I've seen the pictures on the net but never in person. Yesterday I found a shop that had them set up. So off I go... 3 hours later I arrive at Audiomasters near Nashville. Let me say this first... I've been in alot of different audio/video stores...some have a super Elitest attitude and won't give you the time of day and some just don't care if they sell you anything or not. The owner here is the nicest gentleman I've met. Now on to the speakers.

At first glance I was a little disappointed. They are just larger than bookshelf speakers. I thought they would be huge. Build quality is very good. They weren't hollow or flimsy, Super tight. He put in Master and Commander, dimmed the lights and WOW!!!!!!!! I heard every creak, every wave smacking the ship, every little nuance with such clarity. The center is what I really love. I'm always straining to hear dialogue alot with my speakers but this center is dynamic! I can't believe the sound from these speakers that are this small. So don't be like me and let the size fool ya, they are really awesome.

I have no doubt now that my Pioneer Elite 49tx can run these. He had a Denon 3805 and it played them fine at near or at reference level.

----------------

On 2/20/2005 9:04:51 AM doodah67 wrote:

....I heard every creak, every wave smacking the ship, every little nuance with such clarity. The center is what I really love. I'm always straining to hear dialogue alot with my speakers but this center is dynamic!.....

----------------

just about every klipsch center channel speaker will give you much better clarity and dynamic impact compared to your current wharfdale speaker...

1.gif

"just about every klipsch center channel speaker will give you much better clarity and dynamic impact compared to your current wharfdale speaker..."

Thats's true..My system is really crap compared to the Klipsch speakers. I bought all the speakers except for the subs on UBid when you could get a great deal on stuff. But compared to the other centers that I've heard(Rc5, Rc7 etc) it was more dynamic.

doodah,

I was in AudioMasters on Saturday too! What a coincidence! I too was shocked to see that he had a thx ultra system set up. First off, it's such a small store and he only carries 2 brands of home audio speakers, psb and Klipsch. I stopped by to look at that beautiful cherry RF-7 pair that he had and he pointed me to the back room and showed me the ultra's. I've never bought anything from him but I certainly would in the future.

Doodah, funny, before I had Klipsch, I had Ubid Wharfedales. They really aren't too bad, esp. for the money spent, but the Klipsch gear really is an order of magnitude better -- as we all agree.

I'm going to try to get over to a new Klipsch/Aragon dealer near the office, maybe next week. It would be very interesting to see/hear what everyone is talking about. My HT and 2-ch will still be Klipsch Heritage though. The only downside to Heritage is that the boxes are HUGE.

2 - Klipschorns

1 - Belle

4 - Cornwalls

A lot of cubic feet there 9.gif