SC-2

soth

Hi, got a question concerning the new synergy center channel speaker.

I'm running an Denon 1804 receiver to a SC-2. The Denon receiver shows 90w x 6 at a 8ohm load. The receiver goes from -80 to +11 where +11 is the max volume. I'm watching DVD movies and sometimes the center channel will make loud popping noise. The volume is only on -20 also. I just purchased these speakers a few days ago BTW.

Is this normal or are the SC-2's getting too much power somehow?

Thanks,

Soth

----------------

On 2/20/2005 4:31:10 PM soth wrote:

Hi, got a question concerning the new synergy center channel speaker.

I'm running an Denon 1804 receiver to a SC-2. The Denon receiver shows 90w x 6 at a 8ohm load. The receiver goes from -80 to +11 where +11 is the max volume. I'm watching DVD movies and sometimes the center channel will make loud popping noise. The volume is only on -20 also. I just purchased these speakers a few days ago BTW.

Is this normal or are the SC-2's getting too much power somehow?

Thanks,

Soth
----------------

there is nothing wrong with your speaker..... there IS some problem in your receiver and/or your DVD player....

IMHO.... the problem is in your receiver...

Oh, ok, hmmmm.

Wouldn't it have made that noise before with the other speakers possibly?

Which do you think it would be more than likely, receiver or dvd player? Oh, popping noise doesn't appear if I turn the volume down some.

Man, I don't want to buy a receiver right now either :(

Thanks

Soth

PS. BTW, how would I go about troubleshooting the problem and narrowing it down?

First, make sure you hooked it up correctly. To see if it's the speaker or the receiver, hook up one of your other speakers to the center channel. If it still does it, it's your receiver, if not, it's the speaker. Although I agree, and I also think it's your receiver. Does it do it on all movies, or just some? If it only does it on some of them, then your receiver may have a problem decoding the material.

Does it on all movies. Hooked my old center channel speaker back up and didn't do it at all.

There are two sets of inputs for the speaker wires on the back of the sc2's. I hooked the wires up to the bottom set. What's the top set used for by chance?

Ok, I set all my speakers on my receiver to "small" and I turned to subwoofer on, even though I don't have one yet this won't hurt my receiver or speakers will it?

I also connected the speaker wires to the HF terminals instead of the LF terminals on the center channel speaker as well. I don't hear any popping noises at all in the center channel speaker now. I can even turn it up louder and still no noises.

What's your ideas?

Thanks,

Soth

Soth,

It looks like you were clipping your speakers. By setting them as small with a phantom subwoofer, you have lessened the load on your receiver. The lower bass frequencies take a huge amount of power.

A high current receiver would help, but a subwoofer should probably be the next upgrade. As long as a subwoofer will not bother the neighbors, it would be an excellent addition.

Bill

Ahhh, makes sense. I'm not really that experienced in the home audio, although car audio i'm much more familiar with ;)

It won't do any damage to my receiver having the sub setting turned on, but with no sub correct?

Also, what's a descent sub that puts out some good bass? I'd like to pay somewhere around 100-300 for now and then save up for a better sub in the future.

Thanks guys.

Soth

i'm not an expert on the subject, but i've been told it's bad to turn the sub on with no sub. What it's doing is sending a signal to nothing. Since there's nowhere for the signal to go, it could cause damage to your receiver. I don't know how true or false this, just what I've been told.

----------------

On 2/20/2005 9:56:58 PM tommyboy wrote:

i'm not an expert on the subject, but i've been told it's bad to turn the sub on with no sub. What it's doing is sending a signal to nothing. Since there's nowhere for the signal to go, it could cause damage to your receiver. I don't know how true or false this, just what I've been told.

----------------

no....

no truth at all