4.1 or 4.2?

Borris

I know the technical differences between the 4.1 and 4.2 setups but i'm not sure what the real world difference is likely to be.

I'll be using them mostly for games but i'd like to be able to watch DVD's and listen to mp3s but these would be secondary requirements.

Any suggestions or info would be appreciated

when playing dvds and games, a 4.1 system is ususally great. but a problem is that the speakers in the rear don't have the aid of a subwoofer, meaning any explosions, or other low end frequencies are lost in the rear, thus a helicopter fly-around is much less impresive. with a 4.2 system and the additional subwoofer placed in the back remedies the situation. also in games with the bass pumped up, you can feel people walk up behind you!

if you got the cash go with 4.2

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by StevieRayDude:

when playing dvds and games, a 4.1 system is ususally great. but a problem is that the speakers in the rear don't have the aid of a subwoofer, meaning any explosions, or other low end frequencies are lost in the rear, thus a helicopter fly-around is much less impresive. with a 4.2 system and the additional subwoofer placed in the back remedies the situation. also in games with the bass pumped up, you can feel people walk up behind you!

if you got the cash go with 4.2

4.2's Rock! Hands down you cant beat it for the money!

------------------

What is that tiny thing in my rear view mirror?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here a 4.1 ProMedia speaker set has plenty of bass as it is.The ProMedia 2.1's have more watts per bass driver and the limiter is not set to kick in as fast.

So when you use two 2.1 sets you get more bass punch and you can place to subs to get an even bass around the room(you only really need good bass at listening position here).

I would say the 4.2 set is close to the ProMedia 5.1 in terms of bass punch.The 5.1 have even more punch and hit harder.The 5.1's also use two 8" woofers!

After to get more you need to combine Klipsch Quintets with a KSW12 sub and a mid priced reciever like a Denon or Harman Kardon.Then you het the WHOLE multimedia experience.

TheEAR(s) Now theears