New Synergy subs?

jliehr

Guest Deon Bearden

----------------

On 5/3/2005 9:30:45 AM IAmtnbikr wrote:

Just one question...what are the differences in a down-firing vs. front-firing sub in terms of sound quality, etc.? Just curious as to why some are down and others are front....

----------------

Am glad you are happy with it. The first subwoofer I ever owned was a Poh Her Hsu piece. One of his original HRSW 10's I believe they were called. And they are what prompted me to learn to design my own subwoofers, which eventually led to my indoctrination in the industry.

To your question. Down firing subwoofers have the modest benefit of a little high pass filtering, which helps reduce high frequency 'talk' with lower order filters. It can also aid in loading the woofer, and lowering resonant frequency. Those benefits however are minor.

In this case, Product Development didn't want to stray too far from the original KSW- series, and I was plenty happy to utilize the spare room for port area and length :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great info...I kind of always wondered if the front firing subs were more of a cosmetic gimmick than any inherent design benefit, especially for those who want to pull off their speaker grilles... As said, you sure did the homework to design the new sub! It fits well with my RF-25, RC-25, RS-35 system, and on occasion I can add in some RB-25's or RB-15's as needed to move to 7.1 for movies. Thanks!!!

From the other thread on the new Synergy subs...

RW-8: 103dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

RSW-10: 109dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

RW-10: 110dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

RW-12: 113dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

Sub-10: 115dB @30 Hz 1/8 space 1 meter

Sub-12: 117dB @30 Hz 1/8 space 1 meter

RSW-12: 119dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

RSW-15: 121dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

----------------

On 5/4/2005 11:00:37 AM sivadselim wrote:

----------------

On 5/4/2005 12:15:32 AM Blackmesa wrote:

Is the Sub-12 louder than the RW-12?
----------------

according to the post just above yours, the Sub12 is 4dB louder than the RW12 at 30Hz.

----------------

I want to hear someone at Klipsch say it.

• Moderators

If it was measured louder, then it must be louder.

However, loudness isn't the only thing to consider when choosing speakers and subwoofers, unless that's the only thing you care about, of course.

----------------

On 5/4/2005 3:55:19 PM Amy Unger wrote:

If it was measured louder, then it must be louder.

However, loudness isn't the only thing to consider when choosing speakers and subwoofers, unless that's the only thing you care about, of course.

----------------

yeah, that is why i asked just above there how the Sub12 compares to my RSW15. i wanted a more qualitative response about it than just the loudness. i was hopin' deon would have something to say in that regard.

Well... measuring more SPL at one frequency may also be a little deceiving as we could define "loudness" as the area under the frequency response curve rather than just the single point.

With that thinking, a sub which has greater bass extension does maintain/increase it's acoustical output... ie: sound louder.

OTOH... I still don't feel the RW subs have ever been truly reference subs rather than Synergy with copper cones.

Rob

PS: Deon... who needs DIY drivers when you can design your own from parts 1.gif . Wish I could! BTW I looked it up, and not much info left about theBeast online... 15.gif other than it had Aura18" with cannibalised Aura parts as PRs.

o GOD 0.0 I already have a ksw-12 in the living room which sounds amazing...I have no idea what can be crazier!!! GOOD THING I WAITED!!! Been waiting since 11/04...lol now I can finally complete my system and get it up and running 9.gif (my B-2, C-1, and S-1 have been sitting in their boxes for 1/2 a year >.<)