Dynamic Range on Yamaha RX-V1500

mtbiker731

Hello - I got my 1500 last week. I'm starting to get used to all the menus. I saw that the factory setting for D. Range is MAX. The other options are MIN & STD. Why isn't there an off option. I don't want dynamic range on at all. Is there some way to turn it off? What setting should I use. Thanks!

Let me preface this by saying I dont own that model, I friend of mine has Yamaha with a similar or the same feature. The wording is a little counter intuitive on the menu, believe you want to set it to Max (for no compression) for the full dynamic range, which should be the same as an off button and preserve the original soundtrack with no compression. Believe the MIN, STD and MAX refers to the volume which you intend to listen to movie on, not the dynamic range compression. A setting of MIN, meaning you listening at a lower volume would compress the dynamic range the most.

Just checked the manual. The Dynamic Range control has two parts, one for speakers, another set of settings for headphones. The book P52 for 2400 says that max is for feature movies, std is for normal listening, min should be used for nighttime listening. It is important to note that the min/max applies to the amount of dynamic range, NOT the amount of compression. SO I've set mine at Max. They also only apply for Dolby DIgital and DTS, so does nothing in music modes.

THere is a separate and not connected NIGHT mode which is described as making the dialog clearer and loud noises less prominent. Don't know if this is a boost to center speaker, boost to vocal range, or bass cut, or combination. Supposed to make nighttime movie listening less bothersome, but I can't tell much difference.

I'll contact Yamaha and see about getting some clarification.

Michael