Best power match for Reference 7 series

uninstaller

I am new to the forums and from reading posts here its obvious that there are many who are very knowledgeable and even expert as well. So this is basic and naive, I'm sure but...

My receiver says it outputs 150 w/RMS into 8 ohms 2 channels driven 20 to 20,000 Hz. Is this appropriate power for these speakers? Is it enough for the RF-7s (250 w max continuous)? What is the rule of thumb for matching wattage if there is one?

Thanks,

Bill

----------------

On 2/23/2005 2:39:47 PM uninstaller wrote:

I am new to the forums and from reading posts here its obvious that there are many who are very knowledgeable and even expert as well. So this is basic and naive, I'm sure but...

My receiver says it outputs 150 w/RMS into 8 ohms 2 channels driven 20 to 20,000 Hz. Is this appropriate power for these speakers? Is it enough for the RF-7s (250 w max continuous)? What is the rule of thumb for matching wattage if there is one?

Thanks,

Bill

----------------

welcome to the forum!!!

first of all - when it comes to powering klipsch speakers, it is usually not the quantity of power that is the issue - but rather the quality of the power....

klipsch speakers are very revealing of all aspects of the signal chain and some receivers might and do sound harsh on some klipsch speakers...

if your receiver has a good synergy with the RF-7's, then the 150 watts should be more than adequate.... many people run these speakers with low power tube amplifiers (under 30 watts) with success...

if you have a very large room and love to play your music very loudly, you might want to consider a separate amplifier to power the RF-7's...

what receiver are you using?

how big is your listening room?

is this for music and/or movies and what percentage of each if you do both?

is your room very reflective (lots of glass and hardwood floors) or more absorbant (carpeting and plush furniture)?

answer those questins and we will be able to help you improve your sound!

1.gif

Thanks for the reply, Russ.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR1000

Room: 16 x 22 with cathedral ceiling

50% music and 50% movies

The room: is open to house on right between right surround and right rear. So if you turned right you will face the TV and fronts/center. The center will be just above the TV when I get to building a shelf for it. There is a very large tri-transom window on left under left side surround. Unfortunately side surrounds are 10' high because of window and opening to house. The RB-75s are in built-in bookshelves at rear of room at 6' height and 10' apart. There is carpet on floor but I guess the room is mostly reflective.

Thanks again.

the onkyo should have plenty of power in your room and your listening preferences... power ratings on speakers are just suggestions... as long as your amplifier is not clipping your speakers will be just fine

as you listen to it over a longer period of time you might want to upgrade the amplifier and just use the receiver as a preamp.... or not....

i haven't heard your receiver so i can't comment on the synergy between onkyo and klipsch...

good luck!