computer to amplifier question

Omega3002

But you can still use the digital output of the Audigy2 and bypass the noise issue of the internal DAC 2.gif The Audigy2 uses the (or can use) the ASIO output which is an industry standard for computer based recording studios. Though I would never suggest the Audigy2 for the most critical of listening, the digital outs do sound good, and are jitter free and all that. The advantage to going with creative is the software support (just about every computer program was written with creative sound cards in mind).

Just keep in mind that if you're doing anything other than dvd playing and you want the surround sound features of the card, then you will need to use the analog outputs.

----------------

On 2/26/2005 11:19:17 AM DrWho wrote:

But you can still use the digital output of the Audigy2 and bypass the noise issue of the internal DAC
2.gif
The Audigy2 uses the (or can use) the ASIO output which is an industry standard for computer based recording studios. Though I would never suggest the Audigy2 for the most critical of listening, the digital outs do sound good, and are jitter free and all that. The advantage to going with creative is the software support (just about every computer program was written with creative sound cards in mind).

Just keep in mind that if you're doing anything other than dvd playing and you want the surround sound features of the card, then you will need to use the analog outputs.
----------------

...But you can't go from the digital out directly to the amp, which is what he was asking.

----------------

On 2/26/2005 11:19:17 AM DrWho wrote:

----------------

Which is easily the most obnoxious part of the Audigy system. Screw their 2-channel-only digital outs. Creative Labs is a company in the midst of an identity crisis. They don't know if they want to produce professional-grade (ADAT I/O, 24/96 ADC, etc) or consumer-grade (full Dolby Digital and DTS support, multichannel digital out) so they do a little of each with the Audigy, and the result comes up short on both ends.

On the flip side, I use an EMU (Creative Labs sub-company) 12-12 currently alongside my venerable Terratec EWS 88/D digital card. It's very adequate for my purposes, which are simply to maximize my channel inputs for multitrack recording.