Proper preamp for NAD T973 and opinions...

Ok here's the deal

I am using a Yamaha RX-V800 as a preamp for a NAD T973 power amplifier (w/RF-7s) -- the problem is the Yamaha preout doesn't have enough juice to run up the T973 even when the gains are maxed out. I only use 2 ch's of the NAD (of the 7 available) and I only use it for music.

I am having trouble determining what specs in a preamp I can use to determine if it will properly drive this amplifier to it's potential. Here are spec links to the Yam / NAD:

NAD: http://www.nadelectronics.com/ht_amplifiers/T973_closerlook.htm

Yam: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/PDFs/02RX-V82.PDF

Any help anyone can yield would be great. I'm looking at NAD and parasound stereo preamps to use w/the NAD amplifier, but am open to suggestions on what preamps to use if anyone has experience w/NAD amplfiers and other preamps. If anyone is selling a preamp or would want to buy the 7ch NAD from me (being that i don't even use half of it) or has NAD integrated amplifier that they'd want to trade, those may all be possibilities as well. Oh, and I'm not willing to spend that cash on the matching $2000 T163 surround preamp.

I got my NAD T163 for $1300 brand new from an authorized dealer. I would dump the Yamaha before I would dump the T973, the sound quality and detail will be leaps and bounds better I can assure you. Try Saturday Audio on the web perhaps they can give you a good deal for one, if not contact me and I will see if my dealer can hook you up. Sell the Yammie to recoup some of your costs.

On the flip side can't you adjust the channel output levels upwards to increase the line voltage fed to the T973? That is what they are there for right to adjust output. I find that it is strange that the Yammie does not have enough output signal strength to get the T973 to its potential.

The gains are maxed on the NAD unit. I do not know if the 50k ohm input impedance on the amp has to do with that or if the output from the YAMAHA are just weak, but either way, I am missing a ton of potential output from the amplifier (I know this for a fact b/c it doesn't get nearly as loud as my B&K avr202 (100wpc vs. 200wpc on the 973 in stereo mode) did by 5db. Combine the 5db disparity between with the fact that the NAD has at least twice the potential of the B&K i used to have (another 3db) and there's a 8db potential loss there somewhere -- a ton.

$1300 authorized isn't bad for the the matching T163 preamp, but the idea was to keep it to half that or less b/c I really only need a stereo setup. Me having the T973 to begin w/is overkill. I'd be just as happy with a 2channel C372 integrated amp.

Where does one go to sell nice amplifiers like the NAD T973?

I agree if you are only using the NAD T973 for a 2-channel arrangement that it is going to waste. The adjustments I was referring were the channel levels on the Yamaha that control the output level from the preamp outputs, raise those to compensate. I did not realize the T973 had gain pots on the input channels, that is a nice feature. I think that it is rated at 170W per channel and not 200W but that would not be noticeable anyhow.

If it were me and I had a Yamaha recevier and was running a two channel system I would look for a Yamaha M-80 or an MX-1000 two channel amp these are rock solid Yamaha amplifiers from an era when Yamaha was on top of their two channel game.

If you truly are thinking of parting with it I might consider trading one of my DBX BX1 amplifiers towards it, but I would have to look at the input impedences to see if you would be back in the same boat or not. I was actually considering purchasing the T973 at one point until I saw the Sherbourn 7/2100A. I have decided to keep my dual DBX BX1's because the quality of these would be very, very tough to beat. The specs on the BX1 are out of this world.

I am not familiar w/the amplifiers (DBX) you refer to.

I more or less plan on selling the yamaha already, and would like to just get an NAD C372 (integrated 2ch amplier) to run the rf-7's instead (in love w/the NAD sound),

henceforth I wouldn't mind selling my NAD T973 (140minRMSx7 all driven simultaneously) for around $1000 to just cash out. The 200RMS i was referring to was the rating NAD gives if you only use 2 channels of the 7 at once.

What sites could I consult about selling the NAD?

AudioGon is a good one, but let me know when you get ready to sell. If you have the original carton, packing material, and user manual for it I might buy it from you. I would like to give it a try.

Let me know when you are ready to part with it. Thanks.

I do not have the original all that stuff, but I do have the receipts showing date of purchase 10/08/2004 from a dealer. Of course though, I plan on spending the money to have it professionally packed and insured at the UPS store. I'm ready to sell now if you're ready to buy. I've got my heart set on acquiring a 2channel integrated NAD - no hassle and exactly what I want. I'd be happy to share a receipt or take pictures of the unit if you like. Drop me an email.

Here's a link to the manual: http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_T973.pdf