Will Heresy stomp the KG4...

mcp

in the midrange and mid/upper bass? I'm thinking about selling my KG4s and building a system with 4 Heresies/subwoofer. Should I just add two KG4s or will the Heresies be a major improvement?

The Heresy II will definitely sound different then the KG4 in the midrange due to its seperate midrange horn driver; the KG4 uses it's cones for the midrange. There's a huge difference in sound.

KG4 has lower bass response then Heresy II. But it's a different type of bass. KG4 uses a passive radiator while Heresy II uses a sealed enclosure. KG4 digs deeper but Heresy II bass is tighter and cleaner.

The Heresy II is also significantly more efficient then the KG4. You will hear a difference in volume with the same amp at the same settings.

In a shoot-out, I'd vote for the Heresy II over the KG4 any day. In your proposed setup, I'd go for 4 Heresy IIs and a sub over 4 KG4s any day.

But I must ask the question why? Is it for home theater? If so, then you'll need a center channel but I'd still recommend the Heresy IIs over KG4s.

If you're just looking for 2-channel stereo, then why go for 4 Heresy IIs when you can get a pair of Cornwalls or Cornwall IIs for the same coin? And that's without even adding the sub into the price. Throw the sub in (depending on the model of course) and you might very well be looking at a pair of La Scalas in terms of overall price.

Cornwalls and/or La Scalas will simply walk all over either the Heresy or the KG4.

Now....Cornwall vs. La Scala is another issue. One that's been hotly debated here for many moons (do a few searches and you'll see). Having recently acquired 4 1990s-vintage La Scalas at an awesome price (see another of my posts), I'll give my nod to the La Scalas; it's midrange smothers the Cornwalls (for the better IMHO but it's a subjective issue here) and I like it's horn-loaded bass better then the Cornwall's vented design (again, a subjective issue). And the La Scalas are clearly more efficient.

Price-wise, it seems easiest for you to simply pick up another pair of KG4s. If' you're looking for better sound, and you're planning to buy 4 Heresy IIs, why not simply get a pair of Cornwalls or Cornwall IIs? If you're planning on buying 4 Heresy IIs PLUS a subwoofer, why not simply get a pair of La Scalas?

Yes, I know about the Cornwall. Stunning sound but aethestically too big for the room. I have also looked at Quartets and Fortes. Another consideration: my room has some very strange bass characteristics. In the past, I was able to get terrific bass response using a sub /Behringer BFD to tame some ungodly peaks.

As far as (4) Heresies go, I was thinking about music w/ DPL II Music mode. I would forego the center channel--never been able to get satisfactory center channel performance. Anyway, I would start with 2 Heresies and then add 2 more later. HT is an afterthought...

A couple of things you might consider: first, if you want to listen mainly to music in DPLII mode, realize there should be only a low level of sound from rear speakers, just enough to provide a sense of spaciousness. I listen to a lot of music in this mode, but mainly to get a better center image; in fact, I often hear too much rear effect for my liking even at the lowest setting. With this in mind, you could get a pair of Heresys to see if you like them, with the KG-4s in the rear; with so little sound coming from the rears, exact matching should not be as critical. However, even if that sounds good for DPLII music, it won't be optimal for any eventual home theater setup. For HT, you want identical speakers, or at least matched speakers, all around. That consideration might argue for two more KG4s (or 4 more) instead of Heresys. A HT setup with all KG4s could sound better than a mismatched arrangement that includes more expensive speakers. You could use a 5th KG4 for a center if your setup allows that size, and if not, there are models designed to be centers for KG4s, i.e., the KV-1, KV-2, KV-3, and/or KV-4 (I don't know which would match best, someone else can say, I'm sure). There aren't any matching centers for Heresys, except another Heresy. KG4s seem to go for between $175-$250/pr on Ebay, so more of them would be cheaper than two Heresys, which usually go for $350-$550/pr. The one good thing about buying vintage Klipsch is that if you want to change, you can nearly always sell them down the road for the same price you paid initially.

I guess what I'm getting at is: from 80 Hz on up, is the Heresy superior? I'm guessing it is because of the mid horn, but was hoping to get opinion of someone who has had experience with both...