What Surrounds for DVD-A/SACD

Indy_Cornwall

I need suggestions on surrounds for 5.1. I have a Denon 3803, Denon 2200, Klipsch RB-5 II's, RC-35, RW12, and other misc. audio equipment. I listen to 80% music/20% HT. I have read that you should get direct (monopole) speakers to get the best sound from the DVD-A/SACD hi res media. The surrounds have to be small due to limited wall wall/floor space. Thanks for any input on this. 1.gif

bill is right...

however - i purchased my RS-3's for my surrounds with KLF-30's up front before i got my SACD player

considering that the standard recommends idnetical speakers all around for multichannel SACD/DVD-audio, i am amazed at how good my system sounds!!!

even before i played my first SACD disc, i had concerns about matching with huge floorstanders and the small WDST speakers high on the wall.... the sound in my room on multichannel SACD's is really amazing.....

i think part of the successs with this non-standard arrangement is due to the fact that many classical SACD's (for example) use the surround channels for presenting the ambient sound just like the sound that you would hear form the side and back if you were listening to the same material in a concert hall....

but diana krall on SACD also sounds great!!.... i have a big band recording (maynard ferguson on verve) that is also very effective....

if i had the room and the money, i would search out another pair of KLF-30's to use as surround speakers.... but even with small WDST speakers, multichannel music can sound great!

good luck!

1.gif

Thanks for the input guys. I have heard so much conflicting views on this. Some say that you need to have the same speakers all the way around. Some say that they at least need to be direct-radiating all the way around. And others say that the surrounds sound good also.

Bookshelves (RB-5, RB-35, etc.) are too large. Don't have any availble floor space and very little wall space. If I want to go with the "direct", would the RSX-5 or RB-10 match okay. I know that it is not ideal. I don't have the ideal floor layout. If I still had room I would still have my Cornwall's.

Spend the day re-arranging my living room so I can install direct-radiating speakers so I can get the best sound from my DVD-A/SACD media. The "better-half" did not even know why I was doing it. The directs still have to be small per "my instructions". Looking at the spec sheets, the RSX-5 and the RB-15 look to have the same specs and are in the "allowable" size.

Which do y'all suggest?

I will be listening to both but I know the layout of my hifi store and the two speakers (RSX-5 and RB-15) are not in the same room so I will not be able to do a "side-by-side" comparison.