Harman Kardon DVD22 with Wolfson 192/24 DAC

heresy2guy

I listened to this unit this evening at a friend's house. He's using an HK630 and a pair of original Fortes. I must say, it sounded really, really good. There's no comparison to my current Yamaha CDX-500U that I've had since 1987. The Yamaha might say "natural sound cd player" on it but it sounds distinctly unnatural compared to the HK DVD22 I just heard. The HK was way smoother and warmer, without the shrill or harness that is now rather apparent to me on my Yamaha. Of course, the CD has a lot to do with it. I brought over a Heart recording from '87 and it sounded pretty crappy (very shrill) even on the HK. Must've been the recording. Some CDs from the 80s can sound pretty bad regardless of the equipment utilized to hear them.

Anyway, the point is, I just ordered a used Philips 963 and it's yet to arrive. I wonder if I made a mistake...

Anybody ever listen to both a Philips 963SA and an HK DVD22 before and care to venture an opinion?

I guess I'll know soon enough first-hand, but the anticipation is killing me.

To my knowledge, they both utilize 192/24 DACs. The HK has a Wolfson. Don't know what the Philips has.

Wonder if I'll be able to hear a difference...

----------------

Anyway, the point is, I just ordered a used Philips 963 and it's yet to arrive. I wonder if I made a mistake...

Anybody ever listen to both a Philips 963SA and an HK DVD22 before and care to venture an opinion?

To my knowledge, they both utilize 192/24 DACs. The HK has a Wolfson. Don't know what the Philips has.

Wonder if I'll be able to hear a difference...

----------------

I have a Philips DVD 963 that I upgraded with the BlackGate Mod and I love it. How do you feel about the Harman Kardon vs the Philips. I need an additional player and see that the HK DVD22 goes for $200 new and the HK DVD31 goes for $229. Because the Philips is no longer available I am curious about the Harman's.

Has anyone compared the Harman's to teh Cambridge Azur 640c? They have the same DAC's (I think).

Chris