Khorns benefit with eq.

homemade

I tried running my homebuilt khorns without and eq for a couple of weeks and had to go back and use a newly bought 15band eq. I just couldn't stand the upper bass response. My speakers appear to have the same response as the factory khorns in that range. I reduced the output in the 125hz range about 4 db and boosted the lower ocataves 12 db (actually 12db in the 25hz range and 6db in the 40 range). They were just too honky sounding especially in my bright room with wood floors, etc. I tried putting fiberglass in the bass chamber but noticed little improvement. These speakers will go low and loud with proper eq. I'm also looking at the La Scalla's response and it appears to me that they would handle eq great with just a little less response in the 40hz range but just the same as the khorn in the lower freqencies. The added noise and clarity of the eq. is way more than justified in the better low end! No comparison.

Now, if you're saying it's my homemade khorns vs factory ones, the response appears to be the same on the Klipsch spec sheet as what I'm measuring. The 125hz-300hz range is at least 6db more than the 60-80hz range.

How many others feel this way? I know that Speakerlab mentioned this same phenomina in their speaker building booklet.

I remember going into the local Klipsch dealer perhaps 15 years ago and listening to some La Scalla's and thought they sounded honky too! Some proper eq. will bring them back in line. The speaker can easily handle this increase in output at the low end. I haven't heard my speaker cone bottoming like my old 12inch subwoofer did! Once I though I heard distortion and it was actually the pictures on the wall vibrating with a low end organ note.

homemade,

BE CAREFULL with that eq! Do you realize that a 12 dB boost means almost 16 times the power! Plus, at 25 Hz the Khonr is not intended to make any sound down there! All you will accomplish is to blow out your K33 drivers! On the other hand, a cut at 200-300 Hz is good. Hte Khorn comes to a peak around that area.

AL K.

yup, what al said...the proper use of EQ is to CUT peaks...when you want to fill dips only bump up a db or three MAX, more boost is risking the drivers...the k-horn bass horn cannot support anything lower than 30hz so any boost below that is risking woofer death. regards, tony

I've had these speakers for 15 yrs and used to be powered by a 200watt/channel Yamaha power amp but now are powered by a 60watt/channel Yamaha surround reciever and haven't blown anything yet except my EV35 tweeter diagphrams when I was running a high freq. (above 15khz) sine way and couldn't hear them and then I smelled smoke when I turned the volume up. I probably pumped 100watts into them! Too much. Had to solder in new diaghrams. Remember, these woofers (I use Eminence EM5415H18 woofers purchased for $57.95 back in 1989 from McGee Radio out of K.C.) are around 92 db efficient (haven't actually measured them) and a 12db boost is like running them without a horn with only 60 watts now. They are rated at 200watts peak. I probably never run more than 20 watts through them now-maybe 1 watt average. I would also venture that most recordings are rolled off in the low end except for some rap style music which I don't listen too. Best recording for showing off the system is "Chocolate Fudge" by Fresh Aire 1. The floors really vibrate from the synthesizer notes! Recorded in the mid 70's?

The EV "Bible" gives some suggestions to concert sound mixers. If you need more bass, give some increase to the 120 Hz band, not the 60 Hz.

I infer two things. 1) Any bump around 120 Hz is going to be perceived as loud bass. 2) This may predominate over true real bass at 60 Hz or lower.

A good buddy has SpeakerLab SK type K-Horns. He has a Yammie ten band equalizer with a measuring microphone. Yes, the 32 Hz band is turned up all the way, which may be 10 dB.

I kinda cringe at that.

But, if 1 watt is the reference, bumping things up 10 dB to 100 watts is within the operating range of the woofer and his amp. Maybe at the edge.

There is an argument to be made that the K-Horn is ordinarily loafing at 1 watt and it is the best suited speaker for low bass boost.

I've seen a peak in response at 120 Hz in some of my home made horns. A little is good, a lot is boomy.

Gil

A 10db increase from 1 watt is 10 watts, not 100 watts :) but I doubt that a 30hz signal is ever as loud as the 120hz band in real music. My old 12inch subwoofer could only handle 25 watts at 25hz or so. Remember, we're talking a big 15 inch speaker with 54oz magnet and tight suspension in a very small back chamber. I ran mine with the side access panel out and I saw very little movement for the most part. I'm not sure what's happening when applying 100 watts at 30hz though but if the access panel doesn't vibrate excessively I doubt the cone is moving an excessive amt.

I agree with homemade. I mistyped.

The principle in my mind is still the same.

If 1 watt is the reference, the K-33 should be able to take 10 dB (10 watts) or even 20 dB (100 watts) short term.

Gil

It´s true that the woofer, of all the drivers, will be the most resistant to blowing up when boost is applied. I still think this type of EQ should be used with the greatest caution, I am also dubious of the result, given room interactions, etc. In the end I say...if you enjoy the music with the low end pumped up more power to ya. regards, tony