OT_Monitor resolution question??

Baz

I've just tried to switch from 800x600(i know, i'm late in the ballgame) to 1024x768.

I was starting to really like it and then i noticed that objects close to the sides of the screen(right left) were very compressed.

(ex. in illustrator if i have a circle in the center of the screen, it looks perfect. When i move it to either side it becomes an oval.)

I tried adjusting monitor settings but the only thing that did was really screw things up.(took me half an hour to get it back wright)

This doesn't happen when in 800x600.

Could it be cheap monitor???

I don't think i've made a bad choice.

Viewsonic E790.

Vid card btw is Radeon 32m ddr, if that's important or not.

Yeah J.

I streched it to max. vertical and hor. within the viewable area.

I don't want to use the radeon's monitor streching tools. Everytime you click on an increment the monitor flicks. (not a defect, that's how the radeon works)

I'm using win. 98. (no probs with it)

I think that's just how the monitor's tube reacts to those settings.

Another ex. is my recycle bin icon looks fine when in center of screen but when moved to the side, it's like it's been squeezed.

Hey Baz,

tunning a monitor can be an art. I have the PF795 (brother's got the E790) and after hours of calibration its worst than is was before ... geez .. I don't think you made a bad choice but remember that it is not flat (and that sound it make when you start it up .. scary) anyway look at the geometry setting of your monitor and you'll probally get it the way you want (or close). I find it harder when the screen is not flat but I managed before so I guest you can to. Don't be affraid to test some setting I never saw I monitor bite. I'm almost 100% sure its not the radeon (got the same).

Hope it helps!

Oh BTW I noticed you're from Quebec ... i'm from MTL beach smile.gif Do you have a pair of Pro Media ?? I'm waiting for the 4.1 any ideas when, where and how much (CAN dollars of course) they will be available ?

Thanks!

------------------

Maverick

maverick@up2.com

That sound on power up is perfectly normal. It is actually a good thing. Does the same on most monitors now-a-days What happens is that when you power up, the power to the monitor is not full-blown turned on, it is gradually increased to full power inorder protect the monitor. That is the buzzing noise ya hear.

As for the geometry problem of your monitor, Baz, make sure you have the proper drivers installed for your monitor and try at higher resolution and see if it continues.

Hope you get your problem solved.

quote:

(and thaT sound it make when you start it up .. scary)

TOOOIIIIINNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!...........CLICKc>

LOL!!!

Thanks for the reply m@verick. I've put it back to 800x600 and it's fine. At the higher resolution 1024x768(i didn't try others), the distortion is more in the interpretation of the image rather than screen size distortion. If i select an icon and drag it left to right i can see it sqeeze(real time) as i get closer to the edges.

No big deal, i don't mind 800x600, i play games(Deus Ex, NOLF and soon UT) watch dvd's and play mp3's ON MY PRO'S OF COURRSSSEEEE!!!

And the image is fine.

I realize that this was a monitor of average quality, it's not cheap but it's definitely not top of the line.

Next one will.

(hope not soon, damn their expensive)

Hey Paragon!

I think they call that noise "Degauzing" or something like that. Yes it is good for the monitor and you can make it click on the fly.

I was just wondering if there was some setting that i didn't know about.

I think that's just the way it interprets the image. Deffect or not i'm not going to bother trying to fix it. Works fine at 800x600.

Thanks for your input smile.gif

With a 19", I would have to use a higher res than 800X600. I have a 17" and at the moment, I have mine set to 1152X864. I used to have it set to 1280X1024 but there is a flicker that started to bother me recently. I cant even imagind you ahving it set to 800X600. Try it at 1280X1024 and see if there is still the problem. 800X600.. havn't used that in years.

Paragon: Yeah I know its normal but they don't all do that. I have had several monitors over the past 2 years and one thing that always caught my eyes (no pun intended) is that higher quality monitors don't do that.

17' Viewsonic P775 did not.

19' Viewsonic PF795 did not.

19' Viewsonic E790 did.

21' Viewsonic P810 did.

21' Dell trinitron flat does not (incredible monitor BTW)

The two Viewsonic that did make the noise are by no means cheap monitors (spectre, KDS, Azura are IMHO) there are just lower ends of the brand. I don't know what features does that but you sure pay for it wink.gif

quote " I run my 17" monitor at 1600x1200. I just can't help it."

Men I wouldn't be in front of that monitor .. I don't even run my 21' Dell at 1600x1200 ... oh but I do run Mechwarrior4 at that resolution smile.gif The game is graphicly beautifull BUT I DON'T HAVE SPEAKERS!!!! ARGHHHH neeeeeeddd thossseeee 4.1

------------------

Maverick

maverick@up2.com

17" w/ 1600X1200.. wow.. I though I was crazy at 1280X1024

I am surprised the Dell Triny doesnt do it I honestly would not say that a buzzing monitor denotes lower quailty. I would be disappointed if my new monitor <19" Sony Triny> does not buzz. If i remember correctly, my bro's Sherwood NewCastle Amp buzzes on the final click as it goes through to turn the power on to the different channels so I see it as a sign of quality in the Amps of electronics.

Im not sayin you are wrong, just noting my opinion. I cannot say that what you have observed of the years is wrong - what you see is what you see.

hmm.. I guess I will see if the 19"Triny buzzes in a week.. will let you know.

Thanks for the replys guys, i tried all other res. and i get the same effect. frown.gif

I guess i don't notice it much at 800x600 because everything is so big.

Well that will be one thing to be aware of next time i purchase a monitor.

Too bad. Would this be common with non-flat screen monitors?

Welllllllllllllllll,

THE HELL WITH IT !!

I got it set at 1024x768 and adjusted it the best i can (screwed it up real good!!!, but after an hour or so got it back relitavely ok i think).

HHHHHRRRRRRMMMMMMMFFFFFF!!!!

I'l see how it goes over time, if i can stop thinking abbout it and not notice it while i'm doing layouts in Illustrator (commercial sign work)

Also learning 3DStudio Max v2.5 and the interface is full of hor. and ver. lines so it helped adjust mon.

word to the wise:

If your mon. is ok, DON'T MESS WITH IT !!!!

M@verick,

I too have a 21 inch trinitron. I have a concern however, I can only max out at 1200 X 1600?? I have a creative labs annilator pro w/ 32 megs DDR, and in windows, I cant go any higher than 1200X1600, unless the porportions get wierd. For example, I installed whistler, and i can do as high as 2200 X 1600, but it looks out of whack. My question is, what is your resolution at? How can I raise mine??

Thanks

Impala SS