Can I leve my tube amp powered on?

MacKlipsch

Have an old mac tube amp that I want to connect to my mac C-15 preamp, but there is no switched outlet on the back of the C-15. It was recommended that I get an outboard unit to accomplish this. The local Hi-fi store guy says he leaves his tube amp on all the time, unless he is gone for multiple days. He claims that this doesn't effect tube life and that the power used at idle is neglegable. Anyone have the scoop?

Mac,

I say HORSE-HOCKEY!

Tubes make too much heat to be left running. Tubes are expensive so why let them sit there and cook. The only reason to leave it on is a thing called cathode stripping. If B+ goes on before the filement is hot, the oxide coating on the cathode is slowly striped off. This happens when it is first turned on. So, it's really a trade off. I would turn it on and off myself. Good tube units have a delayed B+ so this does not happen.

Al K.

Also, unless your amp has a soft-start circuit, every time you turn it on, the filaments get stressed.

So some people leave thier small-signal ones, like in pre-amps or DACs on all the time.

But with a power amp, sure if you're gonna listen to it again that same day, you might as well leave it on, but I'd never leave the house with them on, or keep them on overnight.

Charlie

I called the Macintosh technicians today and they basically said the same thing. Any benefit that would be gained by not having the amp turned off and on would more than be lost in tube life. Mac has a unit called a PC-4 that goes for under $100 that daisy chains from the Mac switching plug on the C-15 to the Mac 202 that has 6 or 7 switched ac plug on it. Going to order it. Seems the best plan. Thanks everyone for your help...

Ditto with the statements above. Plus amps do draw a bit of power = extra dollars, and

tubes lose there oomph as their lifetimes come to an end. Gee, kinda like people.

The only exception would be if you could leave the tube filaments alone always on. Again, it's all the turning on & off an on that kills the getter (stripping).

-Ken