CD player suggestion? HDCD? DVD-audio?

RossVTaylor

I just brought home a DVD-Audio player that I bought on an "impulse" while I was looking for a new CD player. It's a Panasonic DVD-A7D. While I've got a nice CD changer, I'm going to use that as our whole-house music source, so I'm looking for a single disc player of good quality to use with my Denon AVR-5800 in our HT room. I thought the DVD-Audio capabilities would be nice to have, but after reading the four reviews on audioreview.com (and some of the threads on DVD-Audio) I'm not sure this is the player for me. It's still in the box, in fact.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a player in the $600-800 range? My favorite dealer carries Denon, B&K, Sony, Toshiba, and Pioneer/Elite.

Any thoughts on the Denon DCM-370 with HDCD capability, or any thoughts on HDCD in general?

I just read a review on the Denon CDR-W1500, a two tray player/recorder. The reviewer liked the audio quality and the ability to play two discs. I wouldn't mind having another burner, if the play quality of this piece is good.

I'm open to suggestions, if anyone can offer some experience.

Thanks,

Ross

Do you already have a DVD (video) player in your home theatre? If not, it seems the machine you bought would be good in there, assuming it does also have full video capabilities.

As for a CD player in the price range you mentioned, I'd sure give a good look at a Sony ES; specifically the CDP-XA20ES. I've got a Sony CDP-X33ES that I bought in '90. It is used in my gonzo audio room and has really been a superb performer without a bit of trouble. Still operates as smoothly and quietly as when it was new. At this point, I fully expect that it'll stay in my system until SACD and/or DVD-Audio become firmly established.

Over the years, I have read a boat load of CD player reviews. Sony ES machines have consistently been stellar performers on the test bench and in the music room.

------------------

JDMcCall

I thank everyone who chimed in with input. I made the decision to stay away from DVD-Audio and SACD for now. I checked the reviews on the players mentioned above and found lots of positive comments for the Denon on audioreview.com. I almost bought the DCM-370 but ended up buying a CDR-W1500 that I read about in Sound and Vision. Like the 370, this player handles the HDCD's. I'm very impressed with the sound quality. I also checked out a nice Pioneer Elite (the PD-65, I think) that was very nice - but I thought the Denon sounded great, too, and it has two trays with recording capability. So, maybe it's not as "audiophile" but I couldn't be happier.

Thanks again for the opinions,

Ross