Two Tumults for HT.

mike stehr

Listened to a pair of Tumult 15" subwoofers, in around 7 foot enclosures ported to 16Hz.

Powered with Peavey pro-sound amps. I think with both amps it was around 3000 watts.

He was using a Outlaw ICBM for the moment...

Measured from the dude's couch (8,10 feet) with a Termlab SPL meter with a 25, 30 Hz tone, he managed 125 decibels.

Sick loud....sure is cool though......

His buddy pulled 150 dB's with the Termlab meter using a Dodge Dakota with six (Tempests?) on a wall type enclosure, ported to 32 Hz.

Now I'll try to listen to my stereo through the ringing.

EDIT: Each Peavey pro-sound amp is 2500 watts, not 1500....

It's always a good idea to have a little overkill for the transients. That is an impressive 25Hz reading... what did he pull off at 20Hz? He should have similar (±3db) output, I'm guessing, at 20Hz with the Tumult in that size of a ported box.

Given that THX requires a 120db output at 20Hz to be certified... it isn't as insane as you think, but simply "reasonable" headroom.in my opinion. 11.gif

Apparently enough to leave Ken speechless...

----------------

On 3/13/2005 12:47:45 AM kenratboy wrote:

----------------

Or boosting his "post" count.... 2.gif

Rob

----------------

On 3/13/2005 11:39:26 PM formica wrote:

It's always a good idea to have a little overkill for the transients. That is an impressive 25Hz reading... what did he pull off at 20Hz? He should have similar (±3db) output, I'm guessing, at 20Hz with the Tumult in that size of a ported box.

**It wasn't much difference at 20 Hz, a couple decibels I would guess. There was still plenty of output at the tuning frequency.

Given that THX requires a 120db output at 20Hz to be certified... it isn't as insane as you think, but simply "reasonable" headroom.in my opinion.

**He's certified then.

It's insane running them hard for SPL tests, but cool too.

For watching DVD's, that headroom factor really kicks in the impact.

He played (Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man?), the guy takes off on a Harley at the begining and the bass is tipped up. It was like the exhaust pipes were next to your skull.

post-6643-13819262314354_thumb.jpg