Digital Cable ?'s

jtack

I have coax digital audio going from my digital cable box to my receiver...If I'm watching premium channels like stars, HBO, etc sound comes through my floor speakers, woofer, surrounds, etc...but when I change the channel to a regular station I cannot get any sound at all. This has never happened before going to a digital coax cable for my audio?

I have charter digital cable box. I first started with no digital cable connections at all and the sound was coming through my stereo speakers. Then I connected an optical cable from my dvd player to my receiver and then a coax digital cable from my digital cable box to my receiver. Now I can get dvd's in dolby digital and my "premium" digital cable stations in dolby digital but when I turn the channel to a "normal" channel like cbs or fox etc I cannot get any sound at all. And when i tune to one of the normal channels, the speaker icons on my reciever display blink on and off.

Does your cable box have a setup menu? If it does you need to go into it and find out how you are outputting your audio.

If it's set up for Dolby Digital only you will only get sound from Dolby Digital channels like HBO, Showtime,Starz, etc.

If you want to use the digital cable for all your audio you need to have it set up to output PCM also.

Here is your most likely problem. Digital cable is a farce. Only certain channels are actually broadcast digitally. So when you go to a stars or hbo that is sending out the DD 5.1 signal this is the digital portion. Now when you change channels to another non DD station the audio becomes analog. We all know that analog will not send a signal through you coax or optical cable to your receiver. You will need to have a set of analog rca cables running from your box to an analog input on your avr. This is the biggest problem with cable TV. Sat TV does not have this problem since it is all digital, every channel. When I switch from say hbo that is broadcasting a 5.1 signal to a non 5.1 channel I still receive a digital signal that is passed thru the optical cable to my avr so I can process it in digital DPL.

Hope that helps

scooter

ok...now I can get sound when on normal stations and dolby digital when the station is encoded...BUT my receiver will not automatically switch between the two. When I am watching a dolby encoded channel like STARZ etc I have to go into my recievers menu and select digital...then when I want to watch regular channels like the news I have to go back into the menu and select analog. My brother has a HK reciever and his switches back and forth automatically when a digital signal is received. I have had so many problems with this piece of SH!T HK 7000 I am about to throw it out the window. I got into my digital cable reciever menu and found the audio output and it is set on digital..the only other choice is "other" when placed on other it will only give me PCM audio?