Synergy 5.1 System

pyroponic

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I currently own a Sony DES-995 receiver, four Yamaha towers, a Yamaha center-channel, and a Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer. I'm less than satisifed with the Yamahas and i'm looking to upgrade. How is the Synergy III speaker line?

My final setup would probably be:

Sony DES-995 Receiver

Klipsch Synergy III F-2 floor speakers x2

Klipsch Synergy III C-2 5 1/4" center channel

Klipsch Synergy III S-2 5 1/4" surround speakers x2

Klipsch KSW-10 10" subwoofer

You think this final setup will be decent? My current one does my 50" HDTV no justice. I also have time to return the 10" sub and get the 12" sub, you think the 12" will go better with my final setup?

Finally, do you think 5 1/4" speakers would be sufficient for the center and surrounds or would 6 1/2" be better?

Thanks

John

I don't see many posts about the Synergy series, are these speakers even a good value?

How do they compare with similarly priced speakers of other makes, I just want to make sure i'm getting my money's worth and not making a big mistake by not getting say a couple of RF-7's and an RC-7. I also hear that you need an amp that can do at least 7 x 200 in order for the Reference series to be worthwhile.

To me, a nice alternative would be to go with the Reference 35 series.....They can be had for the same price or less than the Best Buy prices on Synergy....

To me, the Synergy were too bright and didn't have enough bass.....the Reference series fixed all of that......

either way it should be an improvement over what you have now....the best way to figure out the best option is for you to go listen to them.....

So maybe the Reference-35 series would be a much better purchase?

So i'm guessing the complete system would be:

RB-35 x2

RC-35

RS-35 x2

RW-12 sub

I'm guessing this setup would cost a bit more money but maybe it'd be worth it. Do you think the Sony DES-995 is good enough to run this system? And also, would I be losing a whole lot by going to these bookshelf speakers upfront?

If I stick with the Synergy series, i'm guessing the S-F3 series is just a bigger version of the S-F2, I would probably go with the F2 not for money reasons but that they're similar models and I prefer the smaller setup. I'm assuming that I wouldn't be missing out on a whole lot by going with the F2s over the F3s? Sorry about all these questions, I'm a college student so this is kind of a major purchase for me and I want to make an informed decision with whatever I buy.

Thanks for all your help!

John

From BB website....

pair of S-2s - $400

pair of F-2s - $650

C2 - $250

Synergy 12" - $500

Total of $1800

You could get the RB-35 system for around $1350 minus the sub (I'd recommend looking at SVS for affordable solutions)

You could probably get an RF-35 system for $1650 minus the sub

SvS sub for as little as $429.

That means you could get the RB-35 cheaper than BB Synergy or the RF-35 for a couple hundred more.

The difference between the Reference and Synergy series were enough for me to go with the Reference. Again, go listen for yourself

----------------

I'm assuming that I wouldn't be missing out on a whole lot by going with the F2s over the F3s? Sorry about all these questions, I'm a college student so this is kind of a major purchase for me and I want to make an informed decision with whatever I buy.

Thanks for all your help!

John

----------------

To me, the F-2 and F-3 were a big difference. If you have heard them and don't think the difference is too large, good.

----------------

On 3/17/2005 3:50:03 PM pyroponic wrote:

Do you an online store URL handy or do you recommend going to a local dealer? Would I need to get an amp or would my Sony DES-995 be enough to power the R-35 speakers?

John

----------------

I am not familiar with the Sony, so I can't say. I'd recommend going to a local dealer, since most places on the internet are not authorized dealers. The only authorized dealers I have seen are vanns.com and bestbuy.com. If you don't buy from an authorized dealer, you get no warranty, so I bought all of my speakers from an authorized dealer.

Thanks for all your help. I think i've decided on the final system:

Sony DES-995 Receiver

RF-35 x 2

RS-35 x 2

RC-35

RW-12

Last question, do you recommend going with RF-35 or RB-35 for the fronts? Room size is not a concern.

I watch a lot of DVDs, so that is my main consideration on which to go with.

Thanks

John

Pyro,

Each Dealer is different - so if you were to buy all of this you should- get a good discount.

MSRP RF 35 Approximately 1,000.00

RB 35 about 600.00

Also- if you get a chance, Listen to the Klipsch Subs.

a guide for MSRP is: goodguys.com.............

Your receiver will most likely do the job, until you can move up to something

else...........i.e. more research. Welcome to the never endless game!

----------------

On 3/17/2005 4:18:15 PM pyroponic wrote:

Thanks for all your help. I think i've decided on the final system:

Sony DES-995 Receiver

RF-35 x 2

RS-35 x 2

RC-35

RW-12

Last question, do you recommend going with RF-35 or RB-35 for the fronts? Room size is not a concern.

I watch a lot of DVDs, so that is my main consideration on which to go with.

Thanks

John

----------------

I'd go with the RF-35s.....For this package MSRP would be $2650.....buying this all from one place, you could probably get it for $2100.

the MSRP on the RW-12 is $650 and you could look at a few other brands to possibly get a better value.

I have the Ref 35 series. I went with RB35 for my surrounds instead of RS35, to me it sounded fuller. Got all from an authorized dealer less 23% of list price and never looked back!

I forgot who it was in the forum but he mentioned that if you don't get at least 20% discount from list price, try another authorized dealer. So I hope you get lucky! :)

For my sub, I got the SVS-PB12 ISD. Soweeettt!

Yes that was me. If your fotunate to have more then one reference

dealer, I do not hesitate to ask if that's the best they can do and

then go shop that price at another. 20% off is not that hard when

you shop and have the cash to buy right then.