promedia ultra 5.1 as a powered subwoofer

shimman

hello,

i need a preamplifier/processor; since klipsch dd-5.1 decoder is out of production, only option is to buy the creative labs' ddst-100 which is ok, but i like to use a home theater receiver i already have.

as the promedia ultra 5.1's satellites have standard speaker connections, there is no problem, but i am not sure how i can connect the subwoofer of promedia ultra 5.1.

it has sws link port which looks like a rca connector, but not sure whether i can use that port or not.

i appreciate your inputs

shimman

your home theater receiver will work just fine. you will need analog outputs from your receiver to make this work. assuming you do, you would hook it up just like a sound card or DD5.1. the rca jack on the ultra sub is an OUTPUT not an input. the "sub" input on the ultra is the orange cable middle stripe when looking at the 3.5mm plug.

im thinkin of getting the Klipsch RF-35 system along with this amp

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV1500.htm

im kinda strapped for cash now, so im gonna hold off on getting the sub, i may get the RSW-12 when i get he funds together, but i am thinkin of just using my promedia sub for a few

would i just hook up a single rca to the back of the amp and convert it to a single 3.5mm stereo plug to hook it into the orange sub/center port?

----------------

On 3/19/2005 11:48:34 AM erickoegle wrote:

would i just hook up a single rca to the back of the amp and convert it to a single 3.5mm stereo plug to hook it into the orange sub/center port?

----------------

essentialy yes thats how you would do it. problem is the sub input only jack is the middle ring, which would be the "right" ch. input. so you could use an rca male to dual rca female, then use a dual rca male to 3.5mm cable(also known as a portable cd player cable). then hook that into the green input.

how would i go about using 2 promedia subwoofers on that subout on a receiver would i just get a single rca male to 2 rca female splitter and then run 2 rca males to 3.5mm phono to the right channel of the promedia sub?... if that works and sounds great i may just use the 2 dual 8" woofer enclosures that promedia has, itll save me a ton!

• 4 years later...

This worked for me...

Things to keep in mind:

Dont cheat on the cable setup: from receiver use RCA splitter (1m/rca->2f/rca) ---> headphone to RCA/stereo (2m/rca->1m/3.5mm) plugged into the GREEN L/R input...doesnt work well with red side of headphone to RCA into sub/orange...

If you are going to use the satilites and center too...they are 6ohm make sure your receiver can handle and/or set the option for it.

i have the pod set to about 55 give or take

I am using a Onkyo tx-sr606b with them...works well...manually adjust the surround after the auto runs...the auto kinda sucked. (full band them all, double bass on, sub +8 all other -1/-3 depending on room)