Surround speaker not working

bvbull200

I recently accquired a set of Klipsch SS-3 surround speakers, but I have run into a problem. Whenever a run any multi-channel audio, one of the speakers is at a very low level and it doesn't seem to be playing the full range of sound. Furthermore, at moderate volume levels my receiver cuts off altogether and when I turn it back on, I am told to the check speaker wire. When I disconnect that speaker, there are no problems and when I switch the speakers, I get the same results, so I know it is a problem with one particular speaker, not a channel on my receiver. Now, I've checked all of the wiring and such and established that it isn't due to a brainfart on my end. Any suggestions on what the problem is and if there is a fix? Also, I purchased them from a friend of mine so I don't have any proof of purchase although I am certain they would still fall within the 5 year warranty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, it sounds an awful lot like a short inside the speaker. The bad news is that the warranty is not transferrable, so unless you can get your friend to take it back and run the warranty process himself, you're down to fixing it yourself, paying someone to fix it for you, or accepting that you're up a tree.

That is kinda what I thought, we may be able to conjure up the purchase papers and get it covered. Say I had to fix it though, is it something that I could accomplish by myself, i.e. is there a diagram or "how-to" guide for fixing it? Also, if I had to just get it fixed, how much would I be looking at (ballpark figure).

P.S. Thanks for the quick reply!

I suppose it all depends on how handy you are. I sure don't know enough about them to give a step-by-step, though if I had one in my hands and a mutltimeter I might be able to trace it. Even then, though, my skills being as limited as they are, it would be a roll of the dice. I can't even guess what a shop would charge. Sorry I can't be of more help.

It could be a simple problem also. First isolate the problematic speaker. Hook them up one at a time until the problem recurs. Then CLOSELY check the wire strands of the problematic speaker/wire combo. at the speaker and receiver. It only takes one or two stray strands to cause the problem. If you determine that it is indeed a speaker, remove the drivers one at a time and check for wires in close proximity to each other. You may get lucky.

Well, I am not saying I am really savy with opening up speakers, but I did pull out the main driver and use a small flashlight to check out the rest of the connections and didn't seem to find anything out of the ordinary. Does anyone have any idea what it would cost to get the speaker checked out and fixed? I know there isn't a whole lot to go on, but any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, if there is a reading on how to perform a diagnostic on the different parts of the speaker I would love to be pointed in the right direction.