Yo....IndyKlipschFan

Tom Adams

What's going on with that HT room of yours? You were all hot-to-trot posting pictures and whatnot when it first got under way. Why the silence? Run outta money? Contractor run off with your wife? Dog eat the only plans in exsistence? City yank your permit 'cause the HT is not ADA compliant?

C'mon man....throw us a bone here. 1.gif

BTW - I personally invite each of you forum folks to make up your own excuses and post them to this very thread as to why Indy hasn't given us an update. Let's see who REALLY has some imagination. 1.gif

Hell - even you moderators can jump in (pile on?) on the action!9.gif

Tom

Yea, yea, yea, you can only harass your friends your right? And you guys are my online Klipsch BB friends...

OK, so here is the deal. Since unlike some of you, I do not have ALL of the skills to do this all by myself. I have to be like a general contractor and decide what needs to be done next, and get bids, listen, ask questions, and learn what person can deliver the most room for my dollars. Just getting bids back is such a pain. Why go to someone's house spend time with them to work up a quote or bid and never submit it..... is beyond me.

I was just at Disney World Orlando a few days they spent 280k on theirs... NOT!!!!

I have a person who is a CEDIA certified THX installer looking at my final plans now, even though I do not care about the THX certification. They have done multi million dollar set ups and might help with ideas for room treatment later. Also Auralex as well. The room dimensions thanks to calculations from a lot of you seem to be great. The desired effects of the audio system already hooked up is almost more than I had hoped for. Everyone, so far, feels it is incredible who have had a chance to see/hear it.

Long story, inner battles with what I dreamed of (Cornwall II's all vertical across the fronts) then switching to La Scalas now with the addition of the 2 Klipsch Ultra THX subs and KA Amp, did the trick for me. 4 vertical Cornwalls ll's are now in the rears, 7.2 sounds so amazing. It still is all good.. OK, Fantastic! Just a switch here,,a switch there, to listen to different sources,,, play music, play DVD's, and really be sure. Ok I am,. Do I really need side surrounds? I kind of like it in the rears and behind me toed in?

So three split La Scalas with 2 THX Klipsch Subs up front, 4 vertical Cornwall II's on the sides as rears. Trust me, 7.2 sound,,,, it is OMG nice!!!

I have looked forward to coming to Florida to see the ACCOUSTIC INNOVATIONS ROOMS and HT's in some of SW Naples Floridas showcase houses. Many of these are in multi multi million dollar homes. Again, not to spend the same amount of money at the disposal of the people here... but to gain ideas I can also use too.

Disney also had a 280k room that was very very nice with M&K speakers..

I think I know where to go from here. Took lots of notes and hopefully with some friends at home helping and some contractors. Allowing me a small crew here, a small crew there we will work hard together. By the Klipsch June weekend, it should be done. As an added incentive to myself, I have my 25th HS reunion the weekend before. It certainly would be great with people from out of town including the Formula One race fans in town to be able, (And let's be honest here,,, I am not kidding anyone..) show off the basement and HT Room finally done.

I do have a question for those of you that have done this? I have dreamed of a room like this for years, planned it in my head as I sleep , worried about it when I am awake, and to say it is a passion and frustrating undertaking at the same time, is an understatement. Did you pause, take a huge breath, and say ok... lets do it.. feeling scared, nervous, and yet if you complete this lifelong dream, then what? Only thing I can compare it to, is this is (to me ) me climbing Mount Everest. Some of you are cheering me on. Some of you and some of my friends too have no clue the amount of work to get all of this done as well. Some people do not even care or hope I fail screw it up too. (And that's ok, too.) I just hope along the way I enjoy these next few weeks and the struggle to get it done right the way I want it. And also realize, the fun part, is the journey.

Maybe, I am silly a bit here.. But a really cool room to sing in.. See other people sing and enjoy themselves, have parties downstairs with friends, enjoy with my family through the years, I just hope I can pull it all off....

Roger

Indy, that post is just FULL of compassion that I admire and I will be so envious of your room once it's done. It will surpass mine and I have one kick *** theater myself.

BUT....

Scroll Down.

worthless.gif

Lets see what you got so far!

Hey Indy

I can completely relate to your HT saga. Like you and others here, my dream of a dedicated HT started before we built our present home and really began when we started looking at house plans. Every plan we looked at had to have a room that was of a suitable size for a dedicate HT. That element of the house was every bit as important as the house layout, bedroom sizes, etc. And during construction, things for the HT room were just as important as the appliances, the windows, the tile, etc.

Once we moved in, we felt that it would relatively simple to finish the room. I mean, even though I wanted some new gear, I had all the electronics necessary sans the projector and screen. I already had my Cornwalls and a pair of Heresys and shortly after moving in; I bought another pair of Heresys plus a single Heresy. We bought a couple of inexpensive recliners and we had a sofa from our previous home. Piece of cake to complete, right?

But then my HT project began to suffer what is referred to in project management as scope creep i.e. adding things to the scope of the project. First there was the purchase of the pre/pro and power amp. Those were scheduled for later 2005, early 2006 but we did it in 2004. Then there was the refinishing of the Heresys. Again, a 2006 project but here I am sanding and painting. Lastly, a major project of transforming the esthetics of the room with the addition of trim and columns is about to start. Hell, that was NEVER in the project!

As a project manager, this scope creep is a bit bothersome to me. And the wife has felt nervous about it too. However, weve come to the conclusion that we want to make our HT as right as we can and still be within our financial means. And if that means it takes 3 years to make it happen, then so be it. Like you and many others, I think about our HT project daily so I can completely empathize with what youre going through.

Good luck and take your time.

Tom