belles (fiber board or plywood)?

klipsch kid

Hi,

I was just wondering , when did klipsch change from ply wood to fiber board. I have a set of 1977 klipsch belles and just wanted to know if they are from fiber board or from plywood.

also can some one please tell me what is considered a better construction. thanks for all your help.

I am new to this board and would like to say that I have been reading some of the posts and they have been very informative.

thanks

OK not sure when MDF became the construction material du jour (sp??) but your Belle Klipsch are veneered plywood. MDF resonates a little less but is not as strong good void free plywood. Baltic Birch plywood is laminated with the grain running in opposing directions and it uses many layers this deadens or damps resonance. Both work well, MDF is cheaper to use and you dont have to worry about the grain matching until you veneer finish it.

----------------

On 3/19/2005 1:05:04 PM new la scala owner wrote:

Hi,

I was just wondering , when did klipsch change from ply wood to fiber board. I have a set of 1977 klipsch belles and just wanted to know if they are from fiber board or from plywood.

also can some one please tell me what is considered a better construction. thanks for all your help.

I am new to this board and would like to say that I have been reading some of the posts and they have been very informative.

thanks

----------------

plywood is a much better cabinet than mdf, it is able to stand alot more abuse(not that anyone would abuse there klipsch) but say you were unloading from the rear of a pick up and the great helper you picked slips and drops the speaker likely as not mdf will break or split at a seam, whereas plywood would just dent or chip(99.9 percent of the time), given a choice i build with plywood over mdf simply for these reasons and lastly mdf is so freakin heavy weighs a ton10.gif Joe