Heresy/Horus side channels have life!

Thanks to Marie for hefting the Heresys up to our listening room. That made things easier, and we now have the side channels up, balanced, and running along in time with the Klipschorns and La Scala. What I find with this, as when Shawn's Lexicon was here, is just such a comprehensive and really beautiful sound. It all started with the very complete character of the sound in her car, which has a dedicated center channel -- not to mention all the other speakers plus very tuneful subwoofer. She had been saying for...years, really...that our home system sounded good, but that something was just missing. All that changed with PWK's minibox and center channel speaker/amp. Sorry, you all, but you have to point the finger at that very wise gentleman on this one, not me!1.gif

The bashed corner, and recently found dent on the other (shipping damage) notwithstanding, the Heresys are a far better match for the system than were the Lowthers as side channels. It is simply incredible, and that uncanny sense of space and air even comes through to our office/computer room in a way two channel only never could. So, off axis response seems much improved, as well.

I know this is the two channel forum, but I just had to share this great feeling and sound with friends.

...I just wish the Heresys were packed a little better. Oh, well, I can fix them up a bit so it's not so obvious. I have some iron-on veneer I use to patch old clock cases, and can maybe blend some of that in a way that doesn't look too bad. The seller really did a decent job otherwise, and may just not have experience with shipping electronic equipment and bulky speakers.

Erik

Erik,

I am sure you are enjoying the sound.

I think most people don't understand how a 40 pound block can move inside a cardboard box. I was curious when I ordered a new power tranny from Triode Electronics along with a set of tubes. A 13 pound hunk of iron in a box with new tubes!!!! He shipped the tubes separately. 2.gif

Marvel

Hi, Marvel:

Yeah, that's really true. The seller did bubble wrap the speakers, but the box was just kind of large for them. I really don't mind that much, and I'll do what I can to fix them up. I just don't have the materials and/or time to do a complete reveering job on two sides of the speakers (which is what would be needed to fix this).

I remember I once bought two old clocks (another interest I have) from a guy in Canada, who just put the things in a box, together, without any kind of padding all -- no peanuts, no bubble wrap or even newspaper -- NOTHING! The box sounded like some sort of giant percussion instrument -- full of broken glass, gears, and wood! 1.gif Thankfully, I was able to get them both running again, but it took some time (weak pun)to do that. One had a particularly difficult gear train, and a professional clockmaker friend of mine fixed that one for me.

The Heresys sound perfect, and there's no damage to the drivers. I'm glad about that.

Erik

Colin:

I had been using PWK's minibox for a derived center channel/plus bridged stereo amp I built some years ago.

I'm now using an active approach by way of a Lexicon digital processor/line preamplifier. I'm using a Teac tripath digital amp for the three front channels, and right now a pair of 2A3 monoblock amplifiers I built a couple of years ago for the side channels.

Another pair of 2A3 monoblocks, Welborne Labs Moondogs that I put together years ago, will be used for the rears -- which might be up and running later today.

Erik

Shawn:

I honestly don't know. I can say, though, that the side channel Heresys and Horus combination is what really casts everything in 3-D relief -- by no small margin. I am still learning as I go, but it seems to me that the sides provide a very important role. They are sort of the shadow, as it were, of forms solidly carved by the front three channels (pardon the artspeak, here).

We didn't get the rear channels up and running tonight, but that should happen tomorrow. I'm just plain too tired.

I'm considering the purchase of another Teac. After reading about an $18+K amp in s.phile this afternoon, the 3 channel Teac is almost strange in terms of price/performance. I like it very, very much!

Erik