Pickup Arm Re-wire

artto

I recently acquired an extra SME III arm wand. The internal wiring is apparently bad and I've deemed it more expediant to simply re-wire it. I was considering using some silver telfon insulated litz wire. This stuff, in a very light gauge (=or<32awg) color coded seems to be very difficult to find.

Any suggestions for sources or substitutes appreciated.

Also, for some reason, SME, on their website, apparently sells this stuff but for some reason they say it's not to be used with Series III or IIIs arms. I'm wondering why? (I've already emailed them but don't expect to hear from them until next week).

Background info: The arm wand wiring is exhibiting peculiar behavior. Audibly, when using a Decca London Jubilee, the bass response is completely gone and thoroughly cancelled out. Also cancelled out are center-stage sounds such as vocals. Only ambient information is reproduced unless it is mono right or left, similar in sound to the "Hafler circuit" used as a "poor man's surround sound" for rear channels. Electrically, the right channel live (red) and the left channel ground (blue) give readings of about 5.0 ohms while the other two wires are both 0.6 ohms (0.6 just like my other arm wands). When the wires were removed from the arm tube, the red and blue wire's resistance varied widely (from about 4 or 5 ohms to as much as 200+ ohms) when moved about. I guess I'm puzzled as to what relationship there is between the weird impedance measurements of two of the wires, relative to the strange audible effects which sound more like some kind of phase polarity reversal type of cancellations.