Do I need a amp

TIbor

My setup is below, I run a 6.1 system. For my listening area my denon seems to put out of juice. At most it will go to -10 for my listening. I watch 90% movies with my ht. What is a amp going to do for me. And what kind or brand is good for me, I cant spend a fortune now though. About a grand ist tops

Thanks

A grand tops? Well your only choice there would be an Outlaw, or if you're very lucky, a used/B-stock Rotel or ATI. I think a used/B-stock Carver digital amp runs in that range also.

Being that such an amp would not be significantly more powerful than your current Denon, I'm not sure if that would make much of a difference overall. You might notice slight increased headroom, perhaps better dynamics and sound separation, but again, (and I'm not meaning to sound like a jackass here), $1K isn't much for a hometheater amp. Especially if you're planning to power 6 channels. That already means you need at least 2 amps.

What you may want to consider is a good two-channel amp to just power your front mains. You should be able to find something decent for $1,000 there. I don't know what right off the top of my head, though. $1,000 won't buy you much as far as a multi-channel HT amp is concerned, unless you got extremely lucky and found some insane deal on the second-hand market (i.e., some old granny's husband passed away and she wants to get rid of all that "stereo junk" he accumalted over the years - rare, but not unheard of, though).

$800 or so (brand new) will get you a two channel Carver Professional ZR1000 digital amp that will give you 225 watts per channel into 8 ohms

http://store.yahoo.com/djgear/cazrseam.html

i use one to power my KLF-30's and it is the best amp i have ever had in my system as well as one of the best amplifiers that i have ever heard - tube or solid state!

this is a digital amp based upon a tripath chip.... you can read about the teac and sonic impact digital amps that everyone is going nuts about in several different threads on this and other forums.... those little digital amps are nice and probably sound very good... but they are low powered and IMHO will not do a very good job for home theater applications....

http://www.carverpro.com/zramps.html

zr1000.jpg

i do plan to buy additional ZR amps for the rest of my channels as funds allow...

good luck!

1.gif

I copied this from Audiogon. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1116636086

Maybe you could email this guy and find out if it really is the 7260 and if he'll take a little less. Hard to tell for sure by his ad. If it is the 7260 then you are set for 6.1 and B&K makes a great amp. I know, I have the 200.5.

Browse Sell Learn MyPage Help

Home > Browse > Amps: Multi channel > Item: 1116636086 Log In / *

B&K 7250/7260 200 watt 5/6 channel pwr amp

Asking $1250.00 obo

New Retail $2600.00

Condition 9/10

Days/Views 11 / 512

Ship cost Split shipping

Ship from 70 lbs from 92883

Ship to USA only

Included Box, Manual

About Seller Bleut (0)

(send email) (other items)

Pay Terms Money Order

Description

B&K 7250/7260 200 Watt 5/6 Channel Amp Series 2

Total Harmonic Distortion 0.09

The 6th channel can be used to power a rear center channel

or a sub woofer.

Many amps rate their power with two channels driven, therefore when all channels are being driven simutaneously the power rating can drop as much as 30-40%.This amp will put out 200 watts in to all 5 or 6 channels.

I can accept paypal if buyer pays the 3% fee

Interested?

Research this item

This is a fixed price listing, but the seller is taking offers.

If interested, please contact the seller.