Full range driver techies please:

maxg

----------------

On 4/4/2005 11:20:20 PM sunnysal wrote:

I guess jeff decided the klipschorns were not for him (?)...back to lam horns? inquiring minds want to know. tony

----------------

Well... Overall, building a system based on khorn that I'll be happy with is too much of a commitment for me. My walls vibrate like hell so false corners are in order and it is too "intrusive" for me. I'm not into Artto's camp of building a "no compromise" dedicated listening room for my system. I had a dedicated listening room at one point and never went there as I felt like a loner in that thing. So I have to deal with the compromise that comes when you have to fit a system in your living room. Khorns aren't the ideal speaker considering this.

For now I appreciate their big sound with classical music and live recording but I curse this big sound when listening to jazz. The giant sax in my room annoys me a bit. I have more bass that with the Lamhorns for sure but the bass overload the room to the point I prefer not having it. The lack of depth in the imaging is an another thing that bugs me a bit. I also found them a bit "sluggish" compared to my Lamhorns. I've spent 5 years with these, fully acknowleding their flaws (mostly lack of bass) but loving them for their strong points (mostly coherence, a tremendous speed and rightness of tone). Last on my whine list is that the khorns needs to be cranked a bit in order to open up.

Other factor that will most probably put the khorns in storage is that with the tike coming, I have to split my huge living room in a tike's room and a smaller living room in wihich the Lamhorns will be at ease. OTOH, khorns would be used as headphones in the next room. On some aspect I'd prefer to keep the khorns as they are much more immune to little finger poking than the Lamhorns with their AER...

On the long term I will build a larger living room where my actual workshop is. Maybe at that time I'll hook back to khorns.