Khorn on flat wall question

Coytee

Scenario: (all currently open stud walls)

You have a flat wall with a closet behind the wall (the closet underneith a stairwell)

On the left/right side, you cut a stud out, install some headers so you can slide LaScalas INSIDE this wall cavity and "hide" them from view. These will be your mains.

You need a center channel. You can't cut a stud out in the middle for other reasons. You don't REALLY want a Khorn nor a LaScala taking up a center wall position but might not have a choice, soooooooo...

Since you currently have open studs, could you build a "V" in between two of the existing studs to give some room to scoot the Khorn "into" the wall a tad?

I KNOWWWWWWWWW this would be akin to having a Khorn against a flat wall and the bass would stink, however, if it's a center channel, might that not come in handy?

So, with 16" oc studs, just how far might you be able to push a Khorn into that "V" ?

Realistically, I doubt this is what I'll do. I'm just brainstorming different scenarios now, before I start work in this room (we're working on room next to this one...this one is next). I don't relish LaScalas as my mains and Khorns as my rears, but the room / wife might dictate that reality. If that happens, I'm trying to figure out what I'll use as a center that will keep up with the LaScalas, yet will not consume a lot of floor space since I won't be able to hide this one behind the wall like I can on the sides (water heater, electrical wires, phone wires causing issues)

----------------

On 4/7/2005 12:17:17 PM Coytee wrote:

So, with 16" oc studs, just how far might you be able to push a Khorn into that "V" ?

----------------

Well.. mathematically, you have studs at 16c/c which leaves you 14-1/2" clear. The back of a Khorn is an equilateral triangle... so it's height is half the base's width.

That means it will slip into the wall half of 14-1/2" which is 7-1/4". That isn't much on about 29" (30"?) depth. I'd just use the Khorns as mains, laScala as a centre, and the wife as surrounds... 2.gif

Rob

----------------

On 4/9/2005 3:23:33 AM DrWho wrote:

Is this room particularly small or something? What would your options be of building out a false wall?

----------------

Hmm.. admit I hadn't thought of that. The room is approximately 14 1/2 x 22 or so (I need to measure sometime in my life 3.gif )

As it happens, the setup of the room will have the khorns on the short wall. It's just not possible to use them on long wall as far as I see.

Actually, now that I think of it, this wall (stairwell) that the LaScalas will be buried in won't really lend itself to a false wall because the wall stops in the corner of room. AT this same corner, our french doors open into the room/main foryer.

I'm still trying to convince the wife to let me flip the HT over and put the front of it on the left wall, as opposed to the right wall. If I do that, I can just let the Lascala sit on the floor and not worry about anything.

Might this be an opportunity where it's easier to ask forgiveness, than permission???

6.gif11.gif9.gif