OT "Dark Tower" Books

damonrpayne

So Damon,

What did you think of the ending?

There are about 10 of us here at work who are Dark Tower fanatics. All of King's books revolve around this series.

"The Drawing Of The Three," "The Wastelands" and "Wizard And Glass" are possibly the most fascinating and entertaining books I've ever read. Frank Muller, the greatest "Books On Tape" reader of all time, did an amazing job with this series. Too bad he got in an almost fatal motorcycle accident and couldn't finish the series. He'll never read again.15.gif George Guidall did an admirable job with the last 3 but it just wasn't the same.

Dean is another Dark Tower reader but I don't think he's finished the series yet.

Everybody has a twin. They could find someone to play Roland. They'd never make 7 movies though, maybe a TV-series or something.

I actually like the 1st and last books best. The first book just had something cool about it.

The ending I felt was "fitting", but could have used a tiny bit more explanation. I was not angry at it, and I _think_ I understand what it meant, but its a subject of debate at work and with friends.

Wow, didn't know there were any Dark Tower fans out here. I've read all of them, the first 4 three times. I had a LONG wait between 3 and 4...it was excruciating.

Anyway, my favorite books of all time also. Amazing.

I like the idea of an HBO miniseries. That would do it justice.

The other idea my girlfriend and I had was to make it as a stylized animated series, with a gritty look to it.

Anyway, cool that there are other DT fans here.

Long days and pleasant nights.

If we're lucky, one of the beams (possibly the one guarded by Turtle with its enormous girth) will lead them to an HBO series. I'd even settle for animated at this point.

Any of you read all the related books like The Talisman, Black House, Insomnia, Salem's Lot, The Stand, etc., etc.?

Also, if you've only "read" the books, I highly recommend listening to them. I've done both and have to say that with Frank Muller doing the reading, I preferred listening (available at your local public library on tape or Barnes & Noble on tape or CD). I own all but 2 and listen to them about once every 3 or 4 years. Helps with the commute.

I can't say I disliked the ending but I wasn't crazy about King writing himself into the story at first. Turned out OK but I was just a little PO'd early on. The best part for me was in book 2 (The Drawing Of The Three) when he first entered the "air carriage" and saw everything through Eddie's eyes. That whole concept was so off the wall bizarre. You had to love it. Then there was the fight at Balazar's. I could go on and on and on and on..............

I have read many of kings other books: the stand, eyes of the dragon (references Flagg), Salem's Lot. I like how in the front of the last couple tower books he bolds his works that are related to the story.

I was only OK with him writing himself into the story because his portrayal of himself is not flattering.

No dark tower books in audio form, but I do make my commute better with the whole lord of the rings series + the hobbit (~100 CDs) narrated by Robert Engles. I agree with you that audio books are great if narrated well. They have some of the best qualities of a movie and a book. Makes me wonder what it would have been like growing up listening to Radio drama.