Looking for single Heresy or Academy

THB:

Have you taken a look at the Stewart Firehawk or Greyhawk screens? If not, you need to check them out. I've just purchased a 92" Stewart Firehawk Luxus Deluxe for my basement that will be coupled with an InFocus 7205. I know of at least two places on-line wherein a 92" can be acquired for $1300 and change.

THB I am in Baltimore, where are you. I am partial to Belle. I have a totally mint pair of Heresy IIs in Oak. I am looking to get everyting in WO so if you are interested I will give you a good deal on them. You can try the Heresy in between the Khorns, which I think will be fine. As much as I LOVE fortes (had a pair since 92ish) I think you might be better scrapping them to 2 channel duty or selling them to finance the "right" setup. I would try to start with KH/H/KH H/H/H that would be a killer 6.1 setup with the goal to be belle or LS in the front center. Just my $0.02.

AdKent. I am all for spending the money where it makes sense. But I just don't see 3X the value or any for that matter in Stewart. I got samples from Carada and Stewart and honestly did not take price into considration. I think the Carada was the winner. Again, my opinion. Just a bonus that it was cheaper...ant the guys at Carada are first rate with support, questions or just shooting the $hit.

Good Luck to both of you, Rich

Rich,

I am in Raleigh.

I am curious why the Heresy would be better matches than the Forte. I have owned both in 2 channel systems, but never in HT. I think the Forte may be my favorite speaker that I have owned (I don't technically own my Khorns yet).

I am open for ideas and am using this forum for ideas to better my system. All help is appreciated.

BTW, where did you get those lights for your HT?

Keith

Here are two threads I found quickly (see below). Do some more searching around on things like Timber and Academy. Also look into Heritage and what people call extended heritage (not sure where that term comes from, but seems to be the de facto standard term) Basically there are families of speakers that have center channel speakers made for them family. Good example the Academy was made as a center for Chorus, Forte, and Quartet. If you have the ability, you do because of using a projector; it is ideal to have the three front speakers the same. Most people cant get 3 Fortes up front due to center placement and a TV. Next best is 3 speakers from the same family. Khorn, LS, B Heresy, Corn are the original Heritage. Chorus, Forte, Quartet, Academy are also heritage speakers but came out later and use different drivers and types of horns (Tratix???) I am not techno-speaker expert so someone please give us the exact differences and terms. Anyway, in a perfect world you keep to the same family of speakers.

That said if it sounds good to you and you like it, screw what everybody else says or writes. Listen to what you like.

Currently my Chorus is not the right center for my khorns, but I dont hear any issues as things pan across the front of the screen. Before the khorns fell into my lap I had been experimenting with various combinations of Chorus/Forte/Academy. I found the best for my tastes was NOT to use the Academies as centers in front and back, but as the surrounds. A totally killer 6.1 set up in my mind is Chorus/Forte/Chorus and Academy/Forte/Academy. If you dont believe me ask anyone who watched a movie with me and that set up.

Another thought is that the fronts matching and the back matching but not matching each other will probably still be darn good. You could got Khorn/heresy/Khorn up front and Forte/Academy/Forte in the back. Based on my using a Forte as a center and my current Chorus between K/horns, I would also think you would be in good shape with Kh/F/Kh up front and 3 heresies in the back. Then you can sit back and wait for the perfect belle to throw in the front center some day down the road. If you were going to do that you would most likely have 2 pair of heresies to get your 3 so you could experiment with heresy and forte as centers for the khorns.

Quick finds for more info on this subject. In this first one I think you will see that we both like the Forte.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=63861

Start about ½ way down on this one look at Olorins stuff he is spot on with this topic. Also search for his other posts on this topic.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=13840

The blue sconces you saw in my HT pix I got at Home Depot of all places. I was surprised I found something I liked in the lighting dept. there. They look better in person as the light does not come through the blue glass so much. That was due to slow shutter speed in my dark room.

Rich,

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I will check out the threads.

Something crazy good happened late last night. I have asked a few people to be on the lookout for a La Scala or Belle for the center. My new buddy who is selling me the fortes sent an email for an auction for a single La Scala. The La Scala is an hour drive from me and is also the same year and crossover (1978, AA) as the KHorns I am getting. I contacted the seller and made a good deal on the La Scala for a Monday pickup. It is becoming more and more apparant to me that this project is supposed to happen.

1.gif

Ideally, I will sub a Belle for the La Scala down the road for looks alone. So, I would still like to split a pair of the Belles.

I need to determine whether to uses the Fortes in the rear and add a Forte, Quartet, or Academy. Or move the Fortes and add three Heresy. I like the height of the forte because no alterations would have to be made. I would need to mount the three heresy if I choose to go that way.

Option #1

KHorn/La Scala/KHorn Forte/Forte/Forte

The trio of Fortes has a nice ring to it.

Option #2

KHorn/La Scala/KHorn Heresy/Heresy/Heresy

This will give me the option of moving the La Scala to replace the center Heresy once a Belle becomes available.

Option #2 Upgrade

KHorn/Belle/KHorn Heresy/La Scala/Heresy

Um, that wil be just silly.

Thanks again Rich. I am heading to the Evil Orange Empire to steal your lighting scheme.

Rick in Ohio: If you are out there, thanks a ton bro.

Keith

Sound like things are falling into place for you. Nice score on single LS. While I am a huge fan of the Forte, the Khorns and LS are starting to point you in the direction of Heresies for the rear IMO.

Are you committed to the Forte or can you scrap that pair? If so you can buy another pair of Fortes and try 3 in the back and see how you like it. If you don't you can probably sell the Forte pretty easily. For a little cheaper then a good Forte pair you can get one Academy and see what the rage is all about while putting that between the Fortes. Surely you can sell that for what you have in it if it is not to your liking.

Decisions, Decisionsgood luck, Rich

----------------

On 4/10/2005 10:15:27 AM Tubes, Horns, and Buds wrote:

My new buddy who is selling me the fortes sent an email for an auction for a single La Scala.

1.gif

Rick in Ohio: If you are out there, thanks a ton bro.

Keith

----------------

Hey Keith,

It's me "Rick in Ohio". 9.gif Congratulations on the Lascala deal. You couldn't get a better center speaker for the Khorns.

While the Forte is not what most people would recommend as rear speakers for your system, very few have actually heard this combination and most have formed their opinions from what they've read. IMO, the Fortes would be excellent surrounds in your situation, and for anyone to suggest you'll notice a "timbre match" problem is just plain BS.

With that being said, just let me know if you decide to use other speakers for surrounds. I don't care to hold the Fortes until you can sell them to someone else....I'll even help you sell them if it'll save me a 240 mile round trip to Beckley.2.gif And to be honest, I'd love keep them and give your $$ back, but money's too tight for that right now. Anyway, just let me know what you decide to do.

Man, either way, you're gonna have a freakin KILLER system!!3.gif

Take care, Rick.