kg-4 + ??? for HT setup

Fried Elliott

Hey gang ---

Just scored a pair of KG-4s over the weekend on eBay for $296. My very first Klipsch speakers!!!

I ultimately intend to use SB-3s in the HT and put the KG-4s in a larger room as our primary "audio listening " speakers being driven off of our HT room. But for now, I was thinking about using the KG-4s in the HT setup.

Assuming I go with the KG-4s as the front pair for now, what would be the best next speaker(s) to add to the HT: (1) KSC-C1 center, (2) CSS-1 surrounds, or (3) KSW-12 sub? Or something else??? With the KG-4s, I don't think I would really need a sub until I switch over to the SB-3s --- correct?

Also, I notice very few SS-1 are being actively bid on eBay. What is a good source for these?

Fried - Congrats! I love my KG4s!

You'll be surprised how much bass they will put out. I guess, if you are doing HT, your next purchase should be the surrounds. The KG4s, in phantom mode on your receiver, will fill in for the missing center, but ya gotta have real speakers for the surround. That would be my vote.

Let us know how you like the KG4s -

DD

The KG-4s arrived today. To say I am a bit misty eyed as I write this would be an understatement.

I grew up singing in a boy's choir (age 8-13) and playing trombone in band, orchestra, stage band, and drum and bugle corp (age 12-21). My "ears" miss the sounds as I heard them then.

As soon as the KG-4s arrived, I hooked them up to my recently acquired Denon AVR-1801 and since I don't have any input sources yet, my Sony portable CD player. In the old days, every time I moved the stereo, the first record that went on was "Return to Forever" by Chick Corea. The turntable and records are stashed somewhere and so I cued up "Make Some Noise" by Liquid Soul (acid jazz).

The sounds that have been trapped in my head these 30+ years --- they're all there. The trap set sounds like a real trap set and the sax sounds like a real person is playing a sax. The trombone growls and the trumpet flutters. There is a real, honest mid-range. The bass isn't mushy, and the high end is crisp. Its real.

I am verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

Yeah yeah I loved my KG4's when I had them. They were the speakers that hooked me on the Klipsch sound. A couple of weeks ago I gave (not sold) them to a good friend who all of a sudden needed some speakers. They are in a good home but I do miss them. I made him promise to give them back to me when he does not need them anymore. He better...

I would go for the surrounds next too, then center, then sub, then rinse repeat starting with the mains again hehe it never ends.

Laters,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 08-28-2001 at 03:24 PM

Fried - You made me misty, too. I almost feel bad about relegating my KG4s to "background music" duty in the living room. I love these speakers, and I will never sell them. They, like eq_, hooked me on Klipsch sound in 1985 (Klipsch who?). I'm really glad you like them, also.

Eq_ - Rinse, repeat!! (LOL). A truer phrase was never said...

DD

I had noticed a large number of serious collectors here had KG-4s as their "seconds" so I figured it would be a good starter set for me. Thanks guys, for your guidance to this point! There is a pair of SS-1 on eBay in white, which will be perfect for their location in the HT room.

I am going to get started building the HT equipment frame this weekend! (And yes Doug, I own that Makita miter saw and Bosch sander.)

Fried - And those are the full frequency spectrum models, right? The ones that go from mildly annoying to completely grating when fired up by a neighbor on a Sunday morning? (LOL).

Ross Taylor is pretty handy with a welder and a drill press (and sailor's knots, too) if you need some extra help. Me? I can't cut a straight line with a table saw and rip guide...

DD2

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 08-29-2001 at 02:10 AM