Looking for a high-end HT setup....Klipsch?

vp0

I'm putting together an HT system for a dedicated HT room in my house. So far, I've bought a few components including the following:

Integra Research RDC-7 (preamp)

Earthquake Cinenova 5 ch (amp)

Panasonic RP-91 DVD player

I'm stuck on the speaker choice though. I'm quite inexperienced in the HT area, although I've done a lot of research online and feel that I have decent technical knowledge of the field. The problem is I haven't listened to many HT speaker systems.

So far, I've only listened to the Atlantic Technology 450 system at a local dealer. I don't know if it was the dealer's setup or the speakers, but somehow this $6000 system didn't do it for me, when compared to the (IMO) great imaging and clarity and great mids of my $250 Klipsch Pro Media v.2 400 computer speakers!

I don't have many local dealers, except Sound Advice (which does carry klipsch home audio) and Audio Center (which due to their crappy service, i don't want to go to). So I thought, maybe I should stick with Klipsch. I'm willing to spend up to $5000 for a 5.1 system. Based on my preference for the Promedia's, does anyone have any recommendations? (btw, how would you describe someone's acoustic taste if they like the sound of the Promedia's? like for example, some people say they prefer warm sound, or planar type speakers, or whatever. What does liking the Promedia's say about my taste?

thanks

vp0,

I was recently at a home electronics expo here in the Phoenix area, where several local HT dealers and reps set up systems in rooms at a local resort. Unfortunately, our local Klipsch dealer wasn't represented. My impressions, shared by my local Klipsch buddy, were that most of the really expensive speaker systems didn't sound as realistic and open as our Klipsch stuff. In fact, most of the systems sounded like, well, speakers. The only exceptions were the Paradigms, the James Loudspeakers and the new (expensive) JBLs.

Of those that sounded good, only the Paradigms were comparable in price to the Klipsch. In fact, I think Paradigm is the only manufacturer that can approach Klipsch in value. And while the Paradigms are nice speakers, I think the Klipsch sound more like instruments. This is MHO, of course. I don't work for Klipsch, I don't sell Klipsch, I have no Klipsch stock (well, nobody does I guess). I just like their products.

I can think of lots of Klipsch setups that would work GREAT for your HT. If you can give us some more info on your space, I'm sure you'll get lots of great suggestions.

Welcome to the forum,

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

I love Klipsh speakers but there are many good choices out there. I suggest you find as many A/V shops as you can and audition as many different brands as possible (look in the phone book under "audio" for dealers. There probably is more than 2, if not, I would drive to the nearest larger city and visit some there.)

Here are some speakers that I found to be good value and incredible sound for my budget, which was considerably less than yours.

Klipsch

Paradigm

Definitive Technology

There were others that I was less impressed with and I have already forgotten them.

I also liked Mirage speakers, but too pricy for me.

I have heard good things about NHT, PSB, B&W but have not experienced them personally.

Ultimatley the best speakers are what YOU like. Take the suggestions you get and listen for yourself. If you like the Promedia speakers, then you will be blown away by Klipsch's normal speakers, so it's definitely a good place to start. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go back in a couple of days and listen to some more stuff.

About my room: it's 21x20x15 (LWH) and has large windows on one side, and built-in cabinets on two sides, and plain wall on the other. Also, I have a pool table in the back of the room (hopefully, this won't affect the sound in a bad way, will it?) The floor is marble, but I'm planning on putting a large rug on the floor, and drapes on the windows. The room isn't quite square, two of its corners are chopped off... kind of like this:

/..................\

/................../

/................../

/................../

---------------

One of the built-in and the tv's on the left side of the above diagram, the windows are on the top, and the other built in is on the bottom. The right side is plain wall.

I think I might have overdone the description a little Smile.gif

This message has been edited by vp0 on 08-27-2001 at 11:35 PM