PB12 Plus/2 better than PC Ultra?

vl3rd

CECAA850, you said in another post that you have both of these subs. How much better is the PB12 Plus/2 than the PC Ultra? I know the PC Ultra has a superior driver... does it really make a difference in quality of bass or is it just superior in terms of SPL output? Any comments by other experts here are very welcomed.

First of all, I'm not posting as an expert, just someone lucky enough to have had both of the subs in question and a pair of ears. The difference in SQ was negligeable to me. Some people that have had both say that there is a subtle difference and that they favor the sound of the Ultra driver. You might hear a slight difference in a blind A/B test, but you'd really have to do some critical listening. Output however is another thing. The dual driver box with 400 more watts really put the tube in its place. At low to moderate levels I might prefer the PCU and it's PEQ. When you want to really shake the house down, I'd take the box in a heartbeat. One of the other forums I frequent has a guy that had a PCU and then added a PB12Plus2. He was really impressed with the PCU, but blown away by the PB12Plus2. "Took it to another level" I think he said. If I could only have one sub it would have to be the +2, but I watch more movies than listen to music (70/30). Carl

I run both the PB12-Plus/2 and the PC-Ultra in my main setup and I have to pretty much agree with CECAA850.

I would be happy with either sub, but if I had to choose just one it would be the PB12-Plus/2.

Luckily I don't have to choose because after they are both dialed in they sound great together.